Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question Regarding Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ccrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is the generally excepted method to place stamps in an album; hinging, using Split back mounts, stamp pocket pages etc?

Thanks,

Chris

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4341 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends what the value of the stamps and what is the goal of the collector .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chris,

I'm sure you'll get a number of answers to this question. It's a topic that comes up quite a bit on stamp collecting forums.

I collect worldwide to "around" 1973. My general rule of thumb is to use splitback mounts for all classics (1840-1940) and later mint stamps. Used stamps post-1940 with a value above a few dollars would probably also get mounted.

Everything else will be hinged.

Dale

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4341 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Every collector has their own rules .....I hinge everything under $25.00 ,if it is hinged previous and catalogs under $100.00 I will use a hinge . All this new issue stuff can be hinged because I never seen or heard someone pay more for mint never hinged .
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Dale and floortrader.

Dale,
A good part of my assemblage is pre-1970 world wide. We may be chatting some in the future.
Valued Member
411 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   03:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i've collector for about 8 years, and I still don't know how I will do it myself.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
258 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use stockbooks, so I don't have to worry about this.
But I have noticed that hinges are a lot more expensive than they used to be, no doubt because of a huge drop-off in demand.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1589 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My USA collection is mostly MNH. I mount them using Showgard black backed mounts. For any used or hinged mint stamps, I use Showgard clear backed mounts.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few of my albums are Lighthouse stockbooks. I can see myself having to shuffle stamps around as I acquire additions but I don't like the idea of the VARIO loose-leaf system. I have a few thousand Dennison 1960's era stamp hinges but I don't like the idea of hinging stamps, either. I might change my mind as I make the collection more manageable.

Are there any negatives regarding the stockbooks other than not being able to see the condition of the back of the stamps without removing them?

Jack, how do you store your Showgard mounts?

Thanks,
Chris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4341 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"are there any negatives regarding the stockbooks " Yes said the person who collected stamps for 63 years .

First ,the cost .....Second ,they take too much room .....third, You get very little money for them when your collection is sold ......Fourth, drop one and your life is over ......Fifth, They don't hold enough stamps .
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, floortrader.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I don't use hinges I like Hawid clear.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Louise411.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6026 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"are there any negatives regarding the stockbooks " Yes said the person who collected stamps for 63 years .

First ,the cost .....Second ,they take too much room .....third, You get very little money for them when your collection is sold ......Fourth, drop one and your life is over ......Fifth, They don't hold enough stamps .

Depends on what you collect, how you arrange them, and how full you let them become. I too have been collecting 63 years, and I always use stockbooks. In part because there are no album pages for the areas I collect, but I also like them better.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
258 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you've been buying and selling stamps for a while you notice a few things ...
1. Generally old stamp albums have close to zero resale value, but old stockbooks and stocksheets (Hagners, Vario etc.) do retain some.
2. Most collections when sold wouldnt cover the cost of the albums that housed them.
Stockbooks are most cost-effective, but lack the flexibility you get from stocksheets.
I find I need to re-arrange most of my country collections after about a decade as the stockbook can no longer cope.
Valued Member
Learn More...
81 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I mount every single stamp in black Showgard mounts; yes, even stamps from 1997 that may be worth as much as the mount. Just my personal preference.

Duplicates and stamps not meant for one of my albums just go in stock books.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05