Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It Possible Ebay Is Using Some Sort Of Image Recognition Software?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
544 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   5:26 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've tried repeatedly to list a 1948 US Naval Operating Base, Guantanamo, Cuba cover and each time I try, I get an error message that tells me 'Money Orders are no longer an accepted payment method.' Since I only accept PayPal, this clearly must be tied into the fact that I'm trying to list a Cuban item. I've tried using variations like C**a and the like and have even tried to put up the listing with no mention of Cuba or Gitmo at all, and it still bounces. Meanwhile, all my other listings go thru without an issue. All I can think of at this point is eBay must be picking up the 'Cuba' in the cds in the scan of the cover. And yes, its legal to sell this item...at this age its been grandfathered in and is not affected by the current embargo. ...swines !
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7396 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   6:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is always possible. But you could test your theory by making an image with the word Cuba in it and starting a new listing.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
651 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try Cubs or Abuc
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1907 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So what's the difference between this listing and yours?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAVY-115-G...AOSw2UVbdInx
Most sellers either use [number]Cuba or do not use "Cuba" as the first (or second) word in the title as a workaround; but you tried listing without mentioning Cuba. The eBay site search will still find "Cuba" and generate results so I doubt that your guess is the problem. It may be more that nothing in your listing changed except for the title, and the system did not like that, either. Relisting and perhaps something small like changing the scanned image size beforehand might do it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
761 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And yes, its legal to sell this item...at this age its been grandfathered in and is not affected by the current embargo. ...swines !

That's how it should work, but eBay just throws out the baby with the bathwater. When I was buying 19th-century postal stationery from Cuba, the item descriptions contained workarounds like "Quba," "Spanish West Indies," and "U.S. Possessions".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1266 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I notice that the OP's Item Specifics don't include:

"Country/Region of Manufacture: United States"

I don't know if this will help, but it may.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like to use ăuba or C˙ba. I don't think the system picks up on those spellings just like it doesn't pick up on ¤ran.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
272 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its possible that eBay has a system to pick up identical images for just this reason -- it would be easy enough to implement.
But any such system is unlikely to be very sophisticated, so just take a new photo of the item (or simply crop the old one).

meanwhile, PayPal will refuse to deal with anything on the US trade embargo list (eg Cuba, Iran, DPRK) -- so just use a workaround title.
eg, Spanish Caribbean, Middle East or whatever.

I had stuff bounced back, but not since I've used the more generic titles. I think the collectors who want that kind of stuff know how to search appropriately.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
544 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cropping both images for the listing didn't help. Even with no mention of Cuba whatsoever (or any related euphemisms), I keep getting the below error message in red. Screw eBay...I'll just list it directly into my HipStamp store.

"It looks like there's a problem with this listing.

Please review your item
It appears that you are offering money order as a payment method which is no longer permitted in the eBay marketplace. As of January 15th, we will be removing any items that offer this payment method within the listing. Sellers must offer to accept one or more of the following payment methods
Paypal
Credit or debit card processed through an Internet merchant account
Propay
Sellers may in addition offer to accept Payment Upon Pickup.

Please revise your listing by removing the banned payment method. Based on the safety concerns and input from the Community, eBay has established an Accepted Payments policy that clarifies eBay's position on payment methods.
For more information on the Safe Payments policy, please click on the following link: ...'
Pillar Of The Community
United States
544 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...and in it went, no fuss, no bother...

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/19...cel/27513448
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"There's a "sash" lower right, attached on back by hinges, that holds a small clipping: "New York X3458. Naval Operating Base,...with money order facilities effective Nov. 14, 1948."

There's your problem - you cannot have "money order" in the description.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
544 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Battle...you're a genius !
I jumbled up 'money order' and the listing went up (with no references to Cuba, just in case) on eBay. Thank you !

Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redsfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried that pre-embargo bit with eBay and they didn't bite. Yeesh--Spanish for cowabunga.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05