Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1938 $5 Calvin Coolidge, Is That Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
124 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rafa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1938 $5 Calvin Coolidge, Is that error? Is this have on Scott catalog?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3166 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is an error, though a very minor one (minimal extra value) involving a shift in the vignette. It is a pretty good shift, though.

I earlier did a little "clock" using the Woodrow Wilson version of this stamp. See:

http://goscf.com/t/38430
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
541 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not call it an error. A freak or oddity, but failure to achieve perfect registration of the two printing plates is not, in my opinion, an error.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a freak rather then an error. It is a fairly nice one and would certainly generate interest among collectors of the Prexies.
Pillar Of The Community
2125 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too would not call this an error. I have always thought of EFO's on a continuum scale based on the nature of the deviation from what was intended, rarity, eye appeal, etc.

10 - true, rare, first-class, major errors
9 - errors
5 - freaks
1 - oddities

I would rate the misregistration on this stamp at about a 2.5 or maybe a 3. It does have eye appeal in a popular collecting area, but is not particularly valuable. I find that owner-bias tends to classify their own stamps about 1-2 levels higher than neutral parties would. I am sure I am guilty of this too.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2350 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
if you get a 4000 $ offer, TAKE IT
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05