Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Airmail Covers, Envelope Designs

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add zepman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The theme is not the flight or the cachet, but the envelope design. Rules are US usage pre-1950. The barbershop border is too common. Let's see unique and different. If is blue and red we want to see it. Any details on the manufacturer is encouraged.

First up a Trans-Atlantic flight

An eye catching border design

A circus like theme with a Zeppelin to boot

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the cover with the FT-820. Very Nice!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't say these are particular eye catching, but do meet the OP's request...blue and red and aren't barber shop. I like the home made one.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gslaten's cover with the arrows is a one of five different designs by J.W. Stoutzenberg of Maplewood, Missouri. If you flip the cover over you will see his name and address and an abbreviated copyright statement. Stoutzenberg was a printer and cachet designer in the late 1920s and into the 1930s.

I've been collecting these different airmail borders since the late 1990s and Stoutzenberg's arrow design is the first that I collected.

I also like his home made border. Below is another home made from my collection. Back in the 1930s, collecting cancels from unusual place names was popular. This cover falls into the unusual place name genre designed to play on Four Corners, Wyoming. The sender realizing that four 1 1/2 cents stamps made the then current airmail rate, added what is an unusual set of airmail borders.

Don

Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   09:39 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like it, send more
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redsfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are the kinds of covers that spurred my interest 40 years ago when I started to collect airmail. I fear that the romance for new collectors is gone but we can still enjoy - tfp.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That what this thread is for, recruitment
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Variation on the cover above with triangle corners. This cover design was copyrighted in 1929 but still in use in the 1960s.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi docgfd:

I like your Carl Becken stars and Thunderbird cover. It is also an association cover of sorts. I couldn't help but notice it is addressed to Russell Sabor. He an his brother were responsible for the Sabor of the Midlands cinderellas. These cinderellas were issued as a souvenir sheet and sheets and singles in multiple colors, different colored papers, perforated and impert.

I can't say why he is addressed as commodore on this cover. Russell may have been a chemist. The Midlands refers to his place of employment, Midland Laboratories in Dubuque, Iowa. Midland made and distributed industrial cleaning products. He was, obviously, a collector.

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 07/15/2019 12:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did Becken design any other envelopes?
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DonSellos,

Thanks for the information about the arrow designs by J.W. Stoutzenberg. I have several of these covers but none have any information on the back of the envelope, so thanks for educating me. I am always amazed at the information that members of this forum have and are willing to provide, regardless of the subject.

Gary
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In response to zepman's post of a variant of the Carl Becken design, I would like to note that besides the different corners (triangles vs the blocks on the Becken cover), this cover has a different attribution as well. I have posted only the reverse, to show the different copyright notice. This design is by the Johnson-Clark Stamp Co. Both Becken and this stamp company are in Minneapolis and may well be the same one and the same. I don't know.

Don

Edited by DonSellos - 07/15/2019 12:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did Becken design any other envelopes?

Hi George:

I don't remember seeing any others by Becken, but maybe some other posters will turn one up.

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 07/15/2019 12:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:45 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Thank you for the historical perspective. Note that a play on the word 'commodore' was used to change it into the tongue-in- cheek 'commairdore.'
This cover is currently listed in my HipStamp store...but your post has me having second thoughts on selling it. I may need to stick it into my collection...
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   2:10 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05