Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Airmail Covers, Envelope Designs

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/04/2019   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I keep this cover in my Stars airmail border collection for its row of stars along the bottom edge, it is actually a dual purpose envelope. The Air Mail arrow is a paste-on and without it, the envelope could be used for non-airmail philatelic events. There is a printed signature "By Capaldi" in the lower left corner that suggests the design was created and printed by the addressee.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the my different "stars" airmail designs have been posted so I am moving to the "Words & Phrase") category of airmail borders. Below are two of my earliest with the airmail designators running across the front of the envelope, similar, but different, both philatelic in origin.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1929 cover commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Gadsden Purchase. It is an earlier example this type of airmail border, most are from the 1930s.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The National Air Races frequently generated some interesting philatelic covers. This one from Chicago, 1930.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1931 first-flight cover from Pasadena, CA. This is a frequently seen border. There is a copyright notice by Premier Press of Indianapolis on the reverse of this cover.
Valued Member
87 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I don't know what is going on with the scrap covering the address. I received it that way. It looks like the cover was ripped from a larger display. The fragment is glued down but good.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1932 cover with a Memorial Day postmark from USS Partridge at San Pedro, CA with a Navy specific airmail border. I have seen these envelopes used during the 1930s and have one canceled at the US Navy Purchasing Office in Shanghai, China, in 1937.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This 1933 philatelic cover has an airmail border designed for use with the George Washington Bicentennial issue pressed into service here for an airport dedication. It incorporates a quote from Henry (Light Horse Harry) Lee's eulogy of George Washington.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more font similar covers with a variety of events.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1933 airport dedication cover with a less dramatic "words" border framed by a thin blue line.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1933 Armistice Day cancel on a first-flight cover from Elk City, OK, with alternating red and blue "Airmail" forming the border.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1934 first-day cover of Sc. CE1 on a cover with an airmail border incorporating the name of the American Air Mail Society and its convention.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampcrow:

An interesting airmail "pinwheel" on that cover. Must have been postmaster Munson's specialty! Thanks for posting it.

The airmail border on the cover below commemorates the 1936 speed record breaking trans-Atlantic flight of Harry Richman and Dick Merrill. The posting date is the day they left England for the return flight. The border design is repeated on the reverse as a mirror image. There is also an explanation of the flight printed on the reverse. No information as to who printed the envelope.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
553 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05