Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Airmail Covers, Envelope Designs

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 15,437Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 02/05/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 02/05/2020   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure how many there are, but those are what I have run across so far

Pillar Of The Community
United States
941 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1969 first flight cover. Special airmail borders are less frequently seen on envelopes of the 1960s forward.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
941 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been quite awhile since I posted to this thread, but I still have some variant airmail borders that have not been written up. This one is a recent acquisition, the design of which I have been seeking for years.

I have only seen three examples of this border with helicopters on the top and rickshaws on the bottom. The first was too expensive, the second I was out bid, and, finally, secured this third one. This envelope appears to be of commercial origin as opposed to philatelic. Most commercial manufactured airmail envelopes were used for personal or business correspondence and just not saved. This cover probably carried personal correspondence.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
941 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Out of the shoe box is this cover with a "Words & Phrases: air mail border. A triple purpose cover commemorating a first-flight on Route CAM 34, New York to Los Angeles; the inauguration of air express, air mail and passenger service from Columbus, Ohio, and Air Mail Day, Oct 25, 1930, at Columbus, Ohio. I collected the cover for its different and somewhat wordy airmail border. The cover is a Linprint design according to the small print in the lower left corner.

Don

The cachet on the reverse declaring Air Mail Day in Columbus, OH
Pillar Of The Community
United States
941 Posts
Posted 05/03/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A "Words & Phrases" border on the front of this somewhat roughly handled, but nicely canceled 1949 non-philatelic cover. The border continues on the reverse without the words, just small blue and red squares. This looks like commercially printed airmail stationery.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
941 Posts
Posted 05/10/2020   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A recent philatelic event cover acquisition with a different border for my Air Mail Borders collection. It could go in either the Stars, Flags, or Shapes (blue rectangle) category. The five cents franking was still good for June, 1932. The rate went to eight cents on July 5th.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple to bump this thread I haven't seen posted before

Pillar Of The Community
United States
941 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't remember posting this airmail border before. It is out of my "shoe box album" and destined for my Words & Phrases Airmail Border collection. The PanAm Clipper flights generated several special borders. This one does not continue on the reverse.

Don
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DonSellos, the C20-C22 Transpacific Airmails are some of my favorites. Your cover is a beautiful example, especially with the unique border.

Both you and Zepman inspired me to start collecting interesting airmail borders. Would you mind if I borrow some of your categories for my own collection? They are very descriptive.

Not exactly a border, but here is one I particularly like.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
941 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gslaten:

Thanks for the kind words about my clipper cover. You may use any of my terminology you find useful.

Glad to see another collector of airmail borders. The field is wide open with most examples available at reasonable cost.

Don

Adding via "edit" that I also include your latest cover in my collection. While not a border it may qualify as an airmail designator. I remember it as a Washington Press cover.
Edited by DonSellos - 06/01/2020 08:52 am
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Don. I have been re-energized by entering this collecting area and the other areas of first flight covers and airport dedications. It will take me a long time to acquire even a small sampling of the examples that are out there.

Gary
Edited by gslaten - 06/02/2020 12:45 am
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting border I haven't seen on this thread before. Edge pattern is repeated on the reverse.

Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
Posted 06/15/2020   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
Posted 06/15/2020   05:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a first flight cover.

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 15,437Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05