Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Airmail Covers, Envelope Designs

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
2125 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are 4 unused Linprint airmail borders with the logo typically covered when the stamp is applied. The backs are blank. Is there a Linprint design "102"?

(Cover 1)

(Cover 2)

(Cover 3)

(Cover 4)

(Cover 5) Copyright 1930 by Premier Press of Indianapolis:

(Cover 6) A. C. Roessler airmail border used in 1938 during National Airmail Week:

(Cover 7) "AHS Aero Dedication" by an unknown printer:

(Cover 8) Unknown printer:

(Cover 9) No doubt Ioor's own border, since he printed many cachets:

And the front/back of two barber pole types with non-standard shading lines:
(Cover 10)

(Cover 11)

Post edited to add some more here, all without any publisher info:

(Cover 12)

(Cover 13)

(Cover 14)

(Cover 15)

(Cover 16)

(Cover 17), blank back side.

(Cover 18), blank back side.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 07/15/2019 3:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is fantastic. Didn't know the Linprint connection and wouldn't have unless I soaked the stamps off.
Valued Member
Spain
121 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I'm missing one to complete the series.
When I get it, I'll ride it with the envelope.
Regards.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2890 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was 10-12 years old when an uncle gave me a box of covers, including this one. Cancel is from Pearl Harbor, November 3, 1940.

Wikipedia has an excellent history of the USS William B. Preston's exploits in the Pacific theatre during WWII.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 07/15/2019 6:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more. All have blank backsides.

Edited by gslaten - 07/15/2019 6:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey folks, While this topic is a bit restrictive go over to world covers to post anything non-US. If you have a unique take on the barber pole border please post.

Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple from my wife's AZ postmark collection. Sadly, the USS Arizona was lost just a few months later on December 7, 1941.

[
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   02:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One last one...

Edited by gslaten - 07/17/2019 02:35 am
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
planes in the envelope design are a favorite of mine.

Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   09:36 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone know the designer/manufacturer of this design? I have 13 variations so far. One source said Harry Ioor.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
686 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   02:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an unconventional Esperanto-themed one with a hand-lettered border:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
erilaz, I like that Esperanto border!

The airlines did a few special airmail borders, from my experience mostly in the 1950s and 1960s. TWA's usually incorporated cities it served. Here are a couple of examples.

Don

Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some repeating phrase borders. Some attributed to Harry Ioor but fonts and designs were frequently copied.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stars, an occasionally seen border.

Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05