Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Airmail Covers, Envelope Designs

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 15,040Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
1071 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There must be thousands of different ones. Here is just one more example of one that hasn't been shown yet - it has a blue spinning propeller in the middle of red lines. It was used at Wheeler Field near Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on August 7, 1941. Wheeler Field was one of the primary targets of the Japanese attack four months later in order to destroy the aircraft and runways that could have been used to counter the Japanese aircraft.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great cover both in design and context. That's the beauty of the early (pre 1940's) envelopes that were custom printed for specific cachet makers to let them stand out in a competing field. I've found repeat motifs like the plane both in and out of clouds that I've seen in 28 variations so far.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another aircraft border, in this case DC-4s flying around the border, both front and backside on a non-philatelic cover with a compass rose in the lower left corner, an occasionally seen device on airmail borders.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are three philatelic first flights with "airline specific" borders from Delta Airlines.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2930 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the pre-1950, US theme ....

Familiar design elements in the border for this 1938 National Air Mail Week envelope:

Stoutzenberg border as ID'd on the back side:

Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some cover designs are harder to get than others. a $3 cover becomes a $300 cover with the right stamp.

Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Zepman, that's a hard act to follow.

Here is one that is the reverse color pattern of your second cover in the opening post in this thread.

Similar to an earlier posting, but here it is anyway

Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did Becken design any other envelopes?

Zepman:

I just ran across this cover in my Aircraft on Covers collection. The border on this cover looks very standard, but Carl Becken is taking credit for it. I'm beginning to think he may have been a printer rather than a stamp/cover dealer.

Don

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
109 Posts
Posted 07/28/2019   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello DonSellos,
I found this information about Carl Becken at https://docplayer.net/40367513-A-hi...torian.html.

"Becken, Carl M.
(1897-1967)
One of the founding members of the Northwest Coin Club in 1934.
Historian for the Northwest Coin Club 1934 to 1938.
Affiliated with Becken Stamp and Coin Shop (1936-1960)

Some very nice covers you have posted by the way.

Gary

Edited by gslaten - 07/29/2019 12:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some from my collection:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gslaten:

Many thanks for the bio info on Carl Becken. So, he was, indeed, a collector/dealer. Perhaps, he designed the cachet on the Orient Express cover above, or maybe he just liked to put his name on the reverse of the stationery he used? Don't know.

Thanks, too, for the kind words about my posted covers. I will say the same for those you posted as well. If you have others, please post them.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stampman:

A note to say I especially like your NRA logo border cover. I have one just like it, except for the cachet and addressee. The cachet on mine commemorates the sighting of USS Macon by USS Lexington at sea a few months earlier (April 1934). I have always liked this border.

Don Sellos
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cover is from my "Connected Terminals" group of variant airmail designators. It is addressed to Milton Mauck, who I know little about, but was apparently an early collector or dealer in first flight covers. One frequently sees covers addressed to him on eBay. I don't know if he designed the airmail designations on these covers, but I have five others similar in style which I will post later.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DonSellos. I like it, as well.

If you get a chance, post your cover on here. I'd love to see it.

Greg
Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 15,040Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05