Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Airmail Covers, Envelope Designs

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is what is so interesting about this topic. It seems there were printers like Linprint that designed envelope borders as well as their secondary cachets. Then there was Harry Ioor whose designed dozens of envelopes and may have also contributed designs to other printers as well, as the cachets he also designed. There is a widespread use of certain border fonts that I try to link to a single source but trademarks and copyrights are limited and there was probably some crossover once an envelope became popular. There is also the repeating motifs of biplanes and single wing planes that are nearly identical in design. Single author or Xerox copies? Can't finish a rant without a cover so here is a Graf Zeppelin cover with the unusual cross motif of planes and ocean liners. I won't be getting this cover for $5.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 07/30/2019   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks DonSellos. I like it, as well.
If you get a chance, post your cover on here. I'd love to see it.

Hi Stampmaan2002:

Here's my NRA border cover. There is a Universal Ship Cancellation Society handstamp with a mail clerk's name on the reverse (see below). The mail clerk must have been the one to prepare this cover.

I notice that my cover differs in that it was sponsored by the Long Beach Chamber of Commerce. I wonder if the Chamber had anything to do with printing the borders on the envelopes? It appears that the border is printed over the cachet.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A second cover from my "Connected Terminals" group of different airmail borders. This one links the Chicago PO with NYC Hall. I have not seen the blue and red saying in the lower left on any other cover.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1185 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DonSellos,

Thanks for posting the image of your cover.

I don't believe the border would have been printed last, but rather that it would have been printed first and available for use in formats other than the uses you and I have.

If anyone has a commercial use of the NRA border, please post it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Continuing the "connected terminals" theme is this 1927 first flight from Chicago to Cleveland on which red and blue parachutes bear the names of the principal cities on the route.

Don

Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Red and blue bars come in all shapes and sizes edge, center, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, etc.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
129 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful covers! I particularly like the monoplanes on the last one.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An airmail rainbow connects NYC with Atlanta, Georgia, on this cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 08/09/2019   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A continuation of the connecting terminals theme with a red, white, & blue searchlight connecting Chicago and NYC.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 08/10/2019   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This piece of stationery by National Airlines is the last of my "connected terminal" theme airmail designators. This connects Jacksonville, FL with NYC.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
551 Posts
Posted 08/10/2019   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful covers everyone!

Typical border, but nice imagery!

And a peek inside the envelope reveals more imagery!

Transo Envelope Co. Chicago

Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 08/11/2019   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ciletaliph:

I like the cachet in your cover in the previous post! It has a recognizable drawing of a Boeing 247 in flight and a nice aerial view of an airport with multiple crosswind runways. Nice detail.

Here is a border from my Checkerboard grouping:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 08/12/2019   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And another checkerboard, this one is a J.W. Stoutzenberg design.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 08/12/2019   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You keep surprising me Don. I'll try and up the ante.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 08/12/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll try and up the ante.

Well, that one certainly does! George, that is a real beauty. Never seen one like it before. A one-of-a-kind for sure.

PS I would bet you didn't find that one in the $1 box!

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 08/12/2019 1:52 pm
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05