Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Airmail Covers, Envelope Designs

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 15,036Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 08/26/2019   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more on the Horizontal theme

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another frequently seen design is partial lines and bars one-half way around the envelope at right angles. The lines and bars vary by color and width.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great covers!
The Warren, Oh. cover above has a date slug error!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Warren, Oh. cover above has a date slug error!

Hi Ciletaliph:

Thanks for the heads up, I had not noticed that before. I assume you are referring to the year date, 1844 instead of 1944? Not a real clear strike even under magnification, but possible.

Don
Valued Member
New Zealand
195 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teals1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don, Never knew there were so many different airmail envelope designs. Particularly like the one you posted on 08/13/2019 that features a DC3. I have a 16 page display specifically on this aircraft and its various and wide uses. This foreign cover (to me in NZ) would be nice to include but doubt if I will be able to pick one up over here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 08/28/2019   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello teals1:

Thanks for your appreciation of the multitudinous airmail borders. There are, indeed, a bunch of them. Many more different to come.

I have seen some of your DC-3 exhibit and it is outstanding. We exchanged emails a couple of years back about it and aircraft on stamps in general.

Aircraft on Covers is another of my collecting areas and if you like DC-2s and 3s on cover there are also a bunch of them. Put NAMW or National Air Mail Week as search terms on eBay and they should turn up, or just search U.S. airmail covers on a regular basis .

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 08/28/2019   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some variations on color, sizes of lines and bars, and positions on the envelope.

Larger bars and traditional colors

Design on opposite side of envelope

Design in opposing corners
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 08/28/2019   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
some more for fun. I call them corner designs.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 08/28/2019   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff zepman. That Bay City, MI design is a crossroads too and I don't have it. I'll have to watch for one.

Don

Valued Member
New Zealand
195 Posts
Posted 08/28/2019   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teals1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your overnight reply Don and advice where I might pick up the desired cover. Postage to NZ is expensive but worth it if you can obtain a specific item to meet the need in a display. I intend to have a page or two showing how the DC3 was used for mail transport and having an example of this particular envelope featuring the DC3 would help tell that story.
Kind regards
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 08/29/2019   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another opposing corners with variation of the length and width of the lines on a bold patriotic cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 08/30/2019   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Three covers with solid lines all around. The first is non-philatelic and looks like commercial airmail stationery. The red line continues on the reverse. The third is more ornate with intermittent scroll work decorating the bordering line.

Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 08/30/2019   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Variation with Art Deco flair

Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 09/02/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another association cover in that the FAM 19 cover is addressed to Leo August, one of the August brothers who founded Washington Press and White Ace albums and accessories. The August bros., also prepared and sold alot of cacheted first-day and first-flight covers. This may be one of them.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 09/05/2019   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moving to vertical lines and bars:

Wide bars, right edge

Narrower bars center

Narrower bars left and right edges

Narrower bars edges and center
Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 15,036Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05