Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1861 3c Washington (11A) With 3 And 4 Framelines? Plating Help . .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
204 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Philazilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have these two 11As that have more than the usual 2 framelines. Does anyone know the story on these? Anyone know what plate or position they are from?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Off topic from my post, but apparently the forum software changes "11A" to "11a" in the post title. . .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
199 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may have this already but the following link has great information on plating of these stamps. You stamps also have an interesting right side in which the right frame line takes the place of the inner line.

http://stampsmarter.com/features/SQ...Plating.html

I cannot point you directly to the answer to your question but I am confident a drill down within this webpage can get you there and provide great insight into these stamps as a whole.

Update: If you search by variety # in the link above you may find that Variety Number 9 matches your first stamp but make sure to check things carefully to confirm.

Hobsun
Edited by Hobsun013 - 07/14/2019 8:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The info here (http://stampplating.com/) is a bit more comprehensive, but I am brand new to plating and am not sure where to start. I can't really tell the reliefs apart, and that seems like step one. I don't find a mention in Chase's book on 3- and 4-framelines, though I admit I have not read every page.
Valued Member
199 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the first stamp.. On the left side you have 1 extra frame line - the lines that you see to the left of those represent the right side of the adjacent stamp on the plate. If you use the above link and click on view database, then click on view varieties and select #9 you will see examples matching yours. (see also right side frame line and inside line are one). You will see that your stamp is Plate 3 and is one of 6 possible positions.

Yes understanding the reliefs is key as a starting point for plating this stamp. The link above also provides a good overview of this area as well. The Key is take your time and look at all that the link offers as it provides a simple introduction as well as loads of details as you need them later.

It is easy to get overwhelmed in this area but with practice this gets easier but yet remains very challenging in many cases when cancels cover key spots or the images are not clear.

Have fun.
Edited by Hobsun013 - 07/14/2019 8:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1630 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread should answer your question.

http://goscf.com/t/64652
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. . .looks like I have a couple stamps from the 9th column of L3. . .I think I can figure out which ones. . .
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are these both "B" reliefs?
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
69L3 and 99L3? These would be the 1st stamps I've ever plated if so. . .
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wish they were mine.
Note that the bottom frame-line of second stamp continues outward
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1630 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with your platings - 69L3 / 99L3.
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05