Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New South Wales 8d Blue Laureate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
1 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamper226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NSW 8d Blue Laureate
Hello to the community I am a new member hoping to learn more about two blocks of stamps from my collection. The first block I purchased many years ago which in all intense and purposes I bought from an inherited collection most likely believing it was a Van Dyck reprint. The thing that nagged at me was it had a fault in it with the printing and I couldn't fathom that a forger would allow this to get out as it would possibly bring about their demise.
In the last year I purchased a second block from Stanley Gibbons with certification that it is a Van Dyck reprint. I have since scanned these two at high resolution and put them side by side my block upon comparison is not like the Van Dyck although you can see they are from the same block as it is documented. I am hoping there is greater knowledge in this area than I have particularly in relation to block re-facing and or re-engraving.

In the photos the Van Dyck is on the left hand side always.

The paper on the Van Dyck is .0005 inch my block is .0004 inch which means my block is consistent with the size of the original post office issues.
My block is different in colour than all of the Van Dycks's that I have compared.

The Van Dyck block I have is on a more compressed paper than my block.

The Van Dyck's that I have compared are cut shorter than my block and has a spot to hold on to when rolling ie my block has partial fingerprints on the edges where it was held I find it hard to come to terms with a forger leaving any evidence of their presence on a block that could get into circulation.

My paper has a yellowish tinge to it.

Does anybody know did Van Dyck do any proofings or trial colours?

Did Jervis re-work the 8d block at some point?

Does anyone know the exact size of the block and the original paper that was used?

Did Van Dyck rub/scrape the plate when he had it ?

Were the Laureate blocks original printed by a roller or a press method?

Does anyone have a book/picture of an original NSW Post Office stamp printing making machine?

Is there a reference book that has pictures and or information on the rolling/inking process/machine used by the post office in C1853 ? I think I have read somewhere there was a rubber buffer that came down and grabbed the sheet did it automatically getting pulled in by the machine?

I have some selected side by side comparisons from the Stanley Gibbons Van Dyck block and my block where ink density is equal so that I have been comparing similarly. The Van Dyck's are on the left side my Block is always on the right hand side.

When these images were scanned they were scanned on the same scanner using the same settings and uploaded onto the same computer with no alterations what you see is what I see in real life.
Is there an alignment guide to align the paper on the post office machine when they were originally done?

I have seen on forums collector's mentioning the eyes on the Van Dyck's are Bigger? Why are do mine have smaller eyes?

Any Information would be greatly appreciated

Thank you Stamper 226.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a respectful reply. I just do not understand. Anthony Van Dyke lived before postage stamps as we know them. I think you would just love the history of engravers section of this Stamp Community. Welcome!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Louise411 - 07/15/2019 11:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1141 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louise411, different Van Dyke! stamper226 is talking about Alfred Van Dyck.

And hi stamper226. I'll try to answer as much as I can.

Quote:
Does anybody know did Van Dyck do any proofings or trial colours?

Not to my knowledge.

Quote:
Did Jervis re-work the 8d block at some point?

No.

Quote:
Were the Laureate blocks original printed by a roller or a press method?

I would've thought the press method at this early stage of printing NSW stamps.

Quote:
The paper on the Van Dyck is .0005 inch my block is .0004 inch which means my block is consistent with the size of the original post office issues.

My block is different in colour than all of the Van Dycks's that I have compared.

The Van Dyck block I have is on a more compressed paper than my block.

The Van Dyck's that I have compared are cut shorter than my block and has a spot to hold on to when rolling ie my block has partial fingerprints on the edges where it was held I find it hard to come to terms with a forger leaving any evidence of their presence on a block that could get into circulation.

My paper has a yellowish tinge to it.

There are so many possible variables here.

Did Van Dyck have access to original paper?

Colour variation could be dependent on storage/light exposure etc.

Hope this helps a bit

Australia
1 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamper226 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More images, please note the Van Dyck images in these comparisons are on the left hand side always & my block is on the right hand side. You will see that the two stamps have huge variations from different noses & mouths & the letters vary in size, as well as the stars (take particular note of the eyes, mine are smaller than the Van Dyck ones) & many other differences. They do look like they are off the same block, but not at the same time as the Van Dyck's were done. I would appreciate any input on these. Thanks Stamper226

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05