Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grandfathers Stamp Collection

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I have recently inherited my grandfathers stamp collection. It seems to be the collaboration of 2 different collections. One was my grandmother's brother, who died in the early fifties I believe, and also my grandfathers. Most stamps seem to be 40's and later. I have actually started to enjoy learning about them and have grown an appreciation beyond the value aspect of things. It is still very interesting to know if I have a gem or not!

One particular pair of stamps is standing out to me as unique possibly. He had lots of this style but only two separated into an envelope alone and they both have this strange perforation markings. Can you guys help out?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here is the other stamp

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhhh. Thank you Philazilla. I could not find that info anywhere. Good to know!

Would the perforations on the used stamp be considered a good thing or a bad thing? They are on both sides but cut into the adjacent sides. I am still learning quite a bit. Are bad perforations considered an imperfect stamp or as a valuable error?

thanks,

jeff
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After work I will post many more pictures of the collection. I do enjoy looking thru them. My grndfather was from canada so alot of them are canadian. There are also alot of other foreign stamps in there.
I looks like he was subscribed to a monthly stamp club or something because there are about 50 white envelopes with dates and stamps in them. Maybe first day of issue stamp sheets? I will post some pictures of those also.
Is there any certain countries that would be of interest to see pictures of over others? He ad sorted some of them in that way
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3791 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perforations on the used stamp is a normal thing for this stamp. So called bad perfs are a negative but there are exceptions. Rare and valuable stamps are hard to find unless you already put up big money to purchase them.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/15/2019 11:24 am
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have another quick question. I have been looking around and there are "precanceled" stamps in the collection I think.

How would the post office know if a precanceled stamp was used more than once? Is there a cancellation mark of the pre-cancel?

for regular cancelled stamps; were they cancelled at the receiving office or sending office?

sorry for such basic questions. I am trying to understand the hobby a bit more.
Thanks in advance for any with the patience!
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more pics of the general type of stuff im finding.
Anything interesting?

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4422 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   6:12 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. The German stamps are ones commonly found in albums from the 1930s-40s - decent condition, but minimal financial value. The mint US stuff - unless there are higher face values among them - tends to be used for postage, and sells as such at a % of the face value.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1240 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The overall condition caught me eye straight away. Very fresh by the looks of it!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3714 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, the mega yacht with twin helo pads must wait.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

im not really sure how to start going thru everything. There are 6 binders, 5 or more small albums, some little brown "wallets", 2 boxes (one wooden and one metal) with random mint looking stamps and sheets, maybe 25 large white first day of issue envelopes full of sheets of stamps, and some bags of stamps on envelopes. There is also about 12 or so united airlines collector painting prints for some reason.

any thoughts on how to start organizing my self?

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4422 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   01:35 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could start by separating the mint US. Assuming that you don't want to keep it, you can then add up the face value and out the stamps on eBay for a % of that. If you don't want to keep the others, you can either put in the work of sorting them into country or area lots, or create larger mixed lots. If you want to keep them, a basic sorting method is continent, then individual country, or "area" (eg France and colonies, then country). Then keep the best example of each. A stock-book would be a good means of keeping them in some kind of initial order.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks GeoffHa
I do actually think I would want to keep them.
i have become attached and like the idea of making my own catalog.

so a usual method is by location; got it. Do you try to organize by date also?

There are lots of hinged stamps in 1/4 full books. Should I try to take them out and move them to one location?

Do you have any recommendation for a trustworthy stamp stock book?

thanks!

jeff
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4422 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   08:29 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. People tend to follow the catalogue, and arrange in date order. Some people collect thematically, but it doesn't sound as if you plan to do that. I'd get the loose material organised first before gently removing the stamps from albums. Someone in the US would be better placed to advise on the best value stock-books available over there - you don't need to pay top whack for Lighthouse etc. And organise the duplicates for future sale - easy to let them get into an overwhelming mess, as I know to my cost. Enjoy!
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome to the hobby!

Based on your photos and narrative appears you have inherited the foundation of an interesting collection.

Agree with the counsel offered by many of the earlier posters. Recommend one of your first expenditures be either a few quality stockbooks or at least a packet of stock sheets. Not only will these help with the sorting and organizing of your collection, they will help protect the stamps themselves.

Recommend you also consider purchasing a decent pair of tongs (not tweezers), a loop (magnifier), and a perforation gauge. These will help you handle your stamps with care, And the perforation gauge will assist in differentiating btwn various older US issues.

A popular outlet for philatelic supplies is Subway Stamp. From time to time Subway has also offered older versions of various philatelic catalogues and speciality books. Based on the vintage of the stamps shown in your photos, purchase of an older edition of the Scott speciality US catalogue or something similar would be helpful.

Fortunately you are collecting in a time when there is also a wide area of quality philatelic Info available via the Internet. One particularly informative site is stamp smarter dot com.

In any event enjoy the hobby. Whether it be for the individual stamps themselves or the connection with your ancestors.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05