Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grandfathers Stamp Collection

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for everybody's inpus thus far! a greatly appreciate your help. I am still just organizing things into bulk categories. I saw a few stamps that just caught my eye because they look interesting.

anyone curious whats in this envelope??

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4221 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   09:41 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp-dealers in their familiar "step right up, folks" mode. I suspect the Chinese stamps are still worth 50c
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
haha;
im sure they probably are only worth 50c. I am afrait to open the envelope because when I touched it the ink started to rub off onto my fingers. It would probably get all over the stamps anyway. Are these envelopes a common way that stamps were purchased back in the 50's? I have shoebox full of them. none of them seem opened however. I even have the flyer where you could pick and order them from.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe its a bunch of lantern fly eggs!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3620 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was common in the olden days. Actually most stamps in glassines from Kenmore, etc. are not worth more than a penny. Still being worth 50 is a testament to the fact that China stamps have some worth.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually have another question;
What is the best way to look up a stamp? Any good websites? For example:

i have a stamp #1123 1958 4 Fort Duquesne
ho would I know that there is only one of these? Like the presidential series has all different types of the same stamp... How do I know to look deeper than just "google said its 1123"? how do I know there is no 1123a or some other number 666 that exists that is a more rare version. note that this stamp is just an example to explain my case.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6387 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott catalog would be the obvious place - how did you get the Scott number ?

Peter
Learn More...
6946 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   7:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For US, Canada, and Australia stamps you can use Stamp Smarter
http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/ALLIdentifier.html
http://stampsmarter.com/features/Ca...ntifier.html
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature..._AU_ALL.html
These all have 'keyword' search capability.

Don
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! stamp smarter looks promising.

I know that Scott catalog would be the obvious place if I knew the number...... but how do I know how many numbers and if it is a reproduced at a later date or not? couldn't they obviously be not in sequence? i'm new so I don't know how it works yet.

thanks for the help!
Learn More...
6946 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   8:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the Stamp Smarter search feature you can use a keyword to search on the stamp's description. It will return all stamps that match that description. of course, searching on 'Washington' will return several hundred matches. There are other tools, including a visual identifier, that help you zero in on the correct identification. Poke around the site, there are literally thousands of pages (and over 100,000 image files); if you only spent 60 seconds on each page it would take you over 3 days to view them all.
Don
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. Samsquanch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You!
it is indeed a useful place. I am slowly composing myself thanks to this kind and knowledgeable forum.
Valued Member
187 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JR1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking to sort with speed and expediency, you could start with sorting by mint vs used/cancelled as a previous poster said, then select what appear to be the higher values (older stamps with 50c or $1 values etc) and check their value. If they are high, investigate the other stamps in that set more closely.

If you are simply enjoying sorting through them and are in no rush, buy yourself a catalogue and look them up. You can buy catalogues that are a few years old at a discount. Or check your local library as they sometimes have them in the reference section, or they used to years ago last time I checked. Also your local stamp club can be a great source of information. These guys don't get a lot of fresh faces walking in the door, so when someone new comes by with a genuine interest in what they have, you can expect to find some good natured input.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
686 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or check your local library as they sometimes have them in the reference section, or they used to years ago last time I checked.

It depends on the library, of course, but the main branch of my local library always has the latest Scott catalogue in the reference section. Quite an expenditure on their part, but I for one really appreciate it!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05