Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Paypal Playing Games

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   7:20 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was just blessed by a sizeable sale of 19-covers on HipStamp from a buyer who has bought from me before on two occasions, each time with a similarly-sized order. Instead of getting the usual 'Notification of Payment received' email from PayPal, I instead received a message stating:

"We've placed a temporary pending status on this transaction.
To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. This payment is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours. This review only involves this transaction and does not affect the use of your PayPal account for other transactions.
Sincerely,
PayPal"

Has anyone come across this <expletive> before or know what the <expletive> its all about?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4341 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DOCGFD ----Don't worry about it ,it could be anyone of a number of things . It could be the buyers tax problems ,it could be a breach in his bank that transfered the money . Someone could of used your customers name for illegal activity .There are so many things going on and you will never get the right story .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patrasf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PayPal owner is eBay. So they ptotect more the buyer then the seller.I quite eBay because of this approach.
Pillar Of The Community
596 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you say they're "playing games" when you don't actually know why you got this message? Isn't that misleading?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Selling a large number of items to the same person in short order can trigger it.
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PayPal owner is eBay...

There is no current relationship between PayPal and eBay. (And the current relationship between these two independent companies is pretty rocky.) Both are public companies, both are owned by shareholders.
Don
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drew -
Quote:
...when you don't actually know why you got this message?
That would be why I'm asking here, in case anyone else has had this happen and can explain why. My apologies if my euphemism doesn't work for you...please forgive me...and thanks a bunch for your input...very helpful...

Rog - Since this is the 3rd or 4th time this buyer has bought a large quantity off of me, it seems it would have made more sense if this had happened the first time around, or is it just arbitrary, 'luck of the draw' for some algorithm to be triggered? I'm more curious as to what 'government regulations' could be involved. Its not like this transaction involved thousands of dollars. I just spent the last hour backing duplicate listings off of eBay (I do this manually these days since the automatic synch system has disappointed in the past). What if for some reason this transaction falls through or is cancelled by the buyer because of PayPal's action? Re-listing everything as a result would be a huge inconvenience and loss of time.
Edited by docgfd - 07/15/2019 9:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2649 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   10:46 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you sell any covers from any place like Cuba or Iran? That would send up a red flag with PayPal just like it does with eBay. I don't know if Hipstamp reports the listings of what's sold to PayPal. Sites like Delcampe don't.
Edited by Battlestamps - 07/15/2019 10:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   11:35 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. Good thought, but the covers were all US, GB & India, and nothing from embargoed countries,
Valued Member
United Kingdom
258 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a transaction or two put on hold in the past, for no apparent reason.
Got the money in the end.
Very puzzling at the time, as I really couldnt see what the issue might be.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   11:17 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My buyer has no clue why this happened so I called them. Apparently this is a random thing and it was just our bad luck that this transaction was selected. The bubbly PayPal child could only tell me that they are supposedly required to do this, and when asked what exactly they are looking at, could only tell me "uhhh….everything."
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05