Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Am I Missing On This K11

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2049 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   10:33 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add eyeonwall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this from a normally greedy dealer for a reasonable price. That is the first red flag. The other is they didn't have it graded. It doesn't appear to be regummed. I know this is a dangerous question to ask here as some of you see reperfing on everything, but has it been reperfed?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2197 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reperf? I am no expert at reperfing, but at first glance, the holes along the right side appear to be a smaller diameter and cleaner cut, thus leaving wider perf tips and fewer fibers extending from the tips than on the opposite side. The bottom looks unusual to me also. The overall margins seem small/tight. Yes, I would study it further.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tipzi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The bottom appears reperforated to improve centering. And John is right to caution you on the right side perfs as well - too small and gauge a bit narrow.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The right and the bottom both look funny.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2042 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom seems like a no-brainer to me... reperfed. I would agree that the right side has probably also been reperfed. Now that everyone, as expected, has found fake perfs, do you believe any of us?
Pillar Of The Community
2197 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got this from a normally greedy dealer for a reasonable price.

How reasonable now?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3502 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My vote would be that perfs were added to a straight edged bottom.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The bottom is a bit odd in that it appears to have had been perked twice on the bottom, which is more obvious on the left. My opinion is that the right side is not reperfed based on the lower most perf. I enlarged the image to where I could measure the the bottom right perf hole at 6mm. The left side also measured 6mm. The rest of the perf holes on the right look smaller because they are short perfs.
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bottom is reperfed. right side needs closer look but probably are ok. they were shortened, but why? is the question.
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does this help. I was not sure if I performed the operation correctly. I cut and flipped the two edges (horizontally & vertically) and pasted them back to the respective bottom and right side.

Hobsun

Pillar Of The Community
2197 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hobsun013, the more useful image is copying the left perfs alongside the right, and top against the bottom.
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

John,

Below is new photo top to bottom left to right. I was not sure how far in to move the floating position against each end. Is the goal to make the end perfs try to align as close to a circle as possible and then check the others. I am taking this opportunity to educate myself and try to improve how to best perform this test while also trying to contribute to the original posting.

Thanks
Hobsun
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eyeonwall....I'm not a dealer and for our Hobby sake, not all dealers are greedy. Tarring ALL dealer with the same brush is 'unfair' imo.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2049 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your replies. I took a closer look at the bottom and I can now easily see where it has been reperfed as there is still evidence of the original holes to the left of the new ones (which quignt nailed). I'm not convinced that it was also reperfed at right, but it doesn't matter since the bottom is bad, so back it will go.

Sinclair - I don't recall calling you out unless you are someone who sees a reperf job on every stamp. It is just my observation that every time someone posts an image asking for an opinion that someone always claims to see something that probably isn't there, that there starting position is there has to be something wrong and it is their challenge to find it. I'm a face person and not a screen name person, so I do a very poor job of figuring out who's opinions I should trust (there's only one I've learned to mistrust).

Finches - where did I call out all dealers?? This particular one is greedy and I'm pretty sure he knew there was something amiss with this stamp (it was one of the few Shanghai's in the group he had that he hadn't gotten a cert for).
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eyeonwall... Please accept my apologies, 'ALL' was NOT mentioned.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05