Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Us Zepp Covers

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pennyblackie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been trying to get the mint $2.60 zepp at under $400 but never had the luck. Here are two of of my first cover purchases of the 2 highest face values. I was looking around for all 3 stamps (65 cents, $1.30 and $2.60) on a single cover, but they are hard to come by, so I had to contend with single stamps on cover. I have been tracking the activity on the zepps and realise that they are always hotly bidded. I am not sure where these zepp buyers are from, but I suspect most are from the US.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome covers!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vahan Mozian was a very well known and knowledgeable dealer in his day.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1631 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I've been tempted to collect these as well, but I have resisted so far. I note that these are readily available in many auctions, and they almost always seem to find buyers. Its clearly a popular area.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vahan passed on in 1945, 15 years after he sent out this cover.
Pillar Of The Community
2125 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was looking around for all 3 stamps (65 cents, $1.30 and $2.60) on a single cover, but they are hard to come by

The zepps were high face value and collectors were unlikely to overfrank a cover at that price. The full set on a cover is a premium item. $2.60 paid the round-the-world rate. Finding a block of the 0.65 or a pair of the 1.30 is not nearly as difficult.

Overall, there are plenty of zepps available whether mint, used, or on cover. They are not scarce. While original zepp sales numbers were modest, the survival rate is very high.
Edited by John Becker - 07/17/2019 12:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read that it costs $3.90 to send a standard letter on a round-trip, or from Lakehurst to Brazil, which covers 2 parts (Lakehurst to friedrich at $1.30, then Friedrich to Rio at $2.60). To add on another 65 cents on top of the full round trip rate of $3.90 (covered by the 2 higher value stamps) is hardly necessary for a standard letter, explaining why it is a rare premium item. I wonder if cover on April 19 would fetch a much higher premium to the later dates or are there just too many going around to make much difference?
Edited by pennyblackie - 07/17/2019 12:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2125 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The rates depended on how many legs it covered and whether on a card or cover. Explained thoroughly and accurately in the various specialized airmail catalogs. The vast majority of mail went only as far as Lakehurst. I erred above, the Lakehurst to Lakehurst journey does not coincide with the round-trip of Germany to Germany, as the US-origin mail went across the Atlantic by ship to fly only 2/3 of the zepp's round trip. But all the rate/route discussion aside, a full set on cover is hard to find.

The April 19 date is the first day of issue and thus in demand by FDC collectors as well.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pennyblackie,

Mean looking stuff there. You must be pleased!

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a single page writeup on the rate and what a round trip entails...

Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just checking with you guys, what is the current market rate for a $2.60 zepp envelope used on the first day? I see people asking close to $600.
Edited by pennyblackie - 07/18/2019 04:56 am
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Flown or not? $600 id fair depending on condition.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$600 flown. Think the seller has increased to just below $700 now. Maybe he is a forum member here...haha
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There appears to be many bidders when it comes to US zepps be it just stamps or covers. Curious if these buyers are mainly from the states. Any eBay dealers here to share where most of their buyers are coming from?
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Im jealous. Gladly pay you Tuesday April the 43 of a quadruple leaap year (part of it is a line from a song). I have always wanted zepplin stamps since seeing them. Never sseen them in person.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ireland2018, there are plenty of these stamps going around on eBay, you can buy them easily. However, you really need to find them at the right price which can be a challenge. Many are selling way too high.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05