Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us Stamp Album - Appears To Be Some Older Stamps In Here And So Am Posting Some Images For Advice.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
12 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bacjdl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. Am looking for some advice about these stamps which seem quite old to me but I have no idea of their worth, so I will post some images.
I imagine condition is important and these have been put away for some time now. The album contains stamps from 1847 to 1976.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by bacjdl - 07/17/2019 07:01 am

Valued Member
Australia
12 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bacjdl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The album cover
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4382 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You will need a expert or stamp dealer to look at them for condition and value .There looks to be some nice stamps in that collection .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bacjdl

Any chance you could post images of the reverse side of the 3 cent Washington stamps with the A Grill and Z Grill?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6198 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's all but guaranteed that the stamp in the A grill space is not an A grill. Not with such complete perforations. I have only seen one A grill with complete perfs, that was in an auction about 15 years ago.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1667 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good looking stuff. What are all those hinge remnants? Looks like somebody purged a lot of stamps.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
423 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "Z" grill is probably misidentified or faked as well. A collection with rare grills should have extensive and high-grade commons.

bacjdl: Do you have any 19th century high-denomination issues, say 30 cents or up? Those are often valuable.

jkelley01938: The "hinge remnants" are actually stains from the mount adhesive. You see it often on old hingeless albums.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
784 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   4:47 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two stamps on the 1867 page have the highest potential - potentially worth over $100 - but also the highest potential of being incorrectly identified. For those two stamps it is necessary to inspect the "grill" on the back of the stamps. A grill is a series of bumps arranged in straight lines. To get the identification right you'll need some help. This page is a simple guide to grill identification http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...8Grills.html .
Edited by rlsny - 07/17/2019 4:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5729 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure the 1 Franklin isn't a type I (18) but rather a type V (24). Would like a better scan though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6198 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks that way to me too.
Valued Member
Australia
12 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bacjdl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm getting rather interested in these now. These are pretty grubby to me but could be of interest. I'll see if I can get a better image of the ones people have commented on. Thanks for your comments, again.

Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You definitely have some value here so far, I'd guess a few hundred dollars at best. Someone will need to look at each stamp to get a more accurate guess. Post close-ups of the 24, 30, and 90c stamps They are potentially the most valuable stamps shown.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5729 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd hold off on casting value. There appears to be some serious condition issues. The Scott 76 (mounted in the 67 slot) appears to have the perfs trimmed off as well as the 90 but individual scans will flush all that out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1194 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no question that the One-Cent blue Franklin mounted as Scott #18 is really #24.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05