Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Use Of Online Albums For Collections

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ccrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,
I am trying to consolidate 9 WW collections, all pre-mid-60's. I have seen a few (unmentionable) online album sites. I think I know what the answer is going to be but what is your opinion on their use?

I am considering writing an Access database for mine and entering all of the collections there instead of haphazardly moving stamps around to consolidate them.

I would appreciate opinions.

Thank you,
Chris
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4341 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You want a opinion ?----Every collector develops their own method . My method has been to have one main collection and have extra albums to handle and work with for a year or two. This lessens handling my main albums . Then go page by page transfering stamps to my main collection ,then selling the spare collection at auction.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader,
I just ran across a thread where you have an image of your library. All I can say is WOW!!! That is very impressive and a good display of your attention to detail and organization. I don't have enough years left in me to come anywhere close to 10% of that effort!

Thanks,

Chris
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris,
I gave up recounting the multiple horror stories I have had dealing with Access databases. Life is much better with a real relational database backend like MS SQL or My SQL. MS Access is like a cute little power tool with its own little carrying case while SQL is like a well-stocked shop.

Data is data, tables are tables, and queries are queries no matter what the database tool may be. The only thing that Access makes a bit easier is form generation. That said, it also paints you into a propriety corner forever chained to Microsoft operating systems and DLLs. It also does not make it easy to share data. On the other hand, a SQL database foundation gives you all the cross platform flexibility you need to be ensured decades of use. By using a SQL backend paired with a browser based interface, you will not only be able to share your stamp collection with other online but also be free from operating systems and manufacturer dependencies.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4341 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Your Library" That is NOT a library ---It is a worldwide stamp collection . My goal is to have a decent stamp collection .
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader,
I thought the room looked like a Library Room within your house. I did not mean your collection was a library. Sorry if I offended you.
Chris
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Don in that using a real relational database is superior to Access.

You can download a free copy of Microsoft SQL Server and use it to develop a powerful database. SQL (structured query language) is not difficult to learn for simple queries and there are a few of us who can help with more complicated queries. A well-designed database can propel your website with unimaginable possibilities.

I've built a website for my own collection, but as a bit of a perfectionist I am still working to get it all right before sharing with others. If you have any questions about how to go about building your database, please let me know.

Scott
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Scott. I think that is the avenue I will pursue.
Valued Member
South Africa
218 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   02:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all, I was reading this thread I was in the early stages of developing my own database in access learning access as I whent along, But after reading Dons comment it looks like the SQL way is the way to go, So ill use what I learned from acces and try my hand at trying to do it in SQL. I might be picking you brains if thats ok by you Don.
Regards Ray
Valued Member
South Africa
218 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Walkman82 was meant to include you to in my last post, I have downloaded MS SQL and the ODBC driver and the server management studio, what other tools do I need to get me going.

Thanks
Ray
Regards Ray
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   05:23 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ray,
What you have will get you going for putting the database in place. Install SQL Express and then use Management Studio to establish your database. Frankly, developing the tables and queries is just like Access. If you already have populated tables in Access, you can replicate them in SQL and then 'copy and paste' the data. The queries can also be 'copy and pasted' although you might have the tweak them a bit.

Also note that if you already have a hosted website, there is a excellent chance that you are already paying for SQL database hosting. If it is a Microsoft hosting plan, you can use Management Studio to establish your first database on their SQL server (and not have to install a SQL server on your local machine).

After you have a SQL database in place, the next step would be to decide how you want to develop the 'forms' and 'reports'. I would recommend a browser based user interface although you could develop a stand alone desktop app if desired. A platforms like Visual Studio gives you both options.

Other good choices would be PHP or ASP/ASPX if you are staying Microsoft.

If you head towards a browser based interface you will also need to a web server. This can be local or can be a hosted online server. All Windows PCs come with IIS web server but you will need to activate it under Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

There are a number of other development apps, many free, that you can use to help you put PHP, ASP/ASPX into place. When you get to this point I can give you some recommendations.
Valued Member
South Africa
218 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don Im a total Newbe so will have to start one step at a time, will check with my hosing service see what they use, Thanks for the advice, will have to learn from scratch with the PHP though.

Ray
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
2125 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you want to spend time with your stamps or your computer? Which is your real hobby?
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   10:24 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,
What is your issue with folks who want to use a computer to interface with our hobby?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
2125 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
None. I use a computer everyday to aid in my philatelic efforts. But stamp-time comes before computer-time.
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood. Speaking only for myself, my computer time far exceeds my stamp time but this is mostly due to things that are beyond my control. I cannot really do stamp time sitting in a dialysis chair for 20 hours a week nor do I want to burden my wife with dispositioning more material than I already have (which is a room full) given my medical prognosis. So investing my time in philatelic-related computer stuff keeps me engaged with the hobby. I am currently finishing up the new HPO online catalog and database and am working with La Posta to get decades of back issues published for the postal history folks. I hope both of these will be useful computer time contributions to our hobby and might even grow interest in these areas.
Don
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05