Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Use Of Online Albums For Collections

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I make up a database for my stamps then computer time is also stamp time. I do not have a lot of stamps maybe just over a 1500 total, on a limited budget so it grows slowly, so the computer time I spend doing this, I see as part of my stamp collecting time one is not exclusive to the other, for me anyway.Sure if I had a large collection less time would be spent on the computer, but we do our hobby as best we can to get enjoyment out of it. I'm quite happy to plod along as I am.

Ray
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Regards Ray
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don thank you for all the work you put into the hobby I for one appreciate it, I have got a lot out of this fourm and although I do not collect USA stamps you site has helped me imencly
Regards Ray
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

Many people have more than one hobby. I, for one, am more than happy that I can integrate my main hobby (collecting stamps) with my lesser hobby (and full-time job) of computers to track and display my collection. I think it's great when somebody wants to learn something new to increase their enjoyment of the hobby. I won't be the one to foist my personal views on them to detract from that, I'll be the one cheering them on.

-----

Ray,

As an absolute beginner, you should choose something simple to begin your program. Don suggested PHP, which is easy to learn and connect to a database. I would suggest finding a PHP for beginners book and learning how to code a simple website. A good book for that is:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/ph...CNXIQAvD_BwE

It's been a few years since I've used PHP (I used to teach it to undergrads), but if you have any questions on how to get started let me know and I'll help as much as I can. Same goes for designing and building a database.

-----

Don,

I'd like to second Ray's comments and thank you for all that you do to support the hobby. Without all your hard work, the stamp collecting community would be a lesser place. I also get a lot from the forum and many of the discussions here are helpful. While the hobby will always have it's share of grumpy old men, many are here to help and it's great having a resource like this board to discuss the myriad of topics and issues that we all run into. Thank you!
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Walkman82, I'll give it a go, and thank you in advance for your help. I will go the PHP route see how it goes.
Regards Ray
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   03:14 am  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ray,
Don and Walkman82 have pointed you in the right direction - an SQL database.
Web-based is the ideal, that way you can access your collection from anywhere, even your phone. That is of course if you have access to an affordable hosting package. Most Linux based packages these days include both PHP and MySQL.

Initially, however, instead of starting out with PHP, an easier option would be to use LibreOffice Base to create your tables and forms. LibreOffice Base can be configured to connect to a remote MySQL database https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...ql-database/

Once you have it up and running, you can then delve into PHP to create your web-based front end.
Clive

AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
Edited by clivel - 07/19/2019 03:15 am
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   04:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will try mysql didn't have joy installing mssql, t hung on the install then I just couldn't install it wasted the evening trying.
Regards Ray
Learn More...
6964 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   4:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would add that the use of a detailed inventory is required if a hobbyists wants to insure their stamp or postal history collection. Developing an inventory manually with a hand written ledger would take many times longer than doing it on a computer. Additionally, modifying a hand written ledger is simply ugly compared to the ease and speed of making changes in a digital format.
I encourage any hobbyist who has invested more than they would want to lose in the event of a disaster to inventory their collections and look into what their insurance policies will require to make a claim.
http://goscf.com/t/68763
Don
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Will try mysql didn't have joy installing mssql, t hung on the install then I just couldn't install it wasted the evening trying.

If you don't already have a web host, you could sign up for a free hosting account. These are generally intended as teasers to encourage people to move to paid hosting, so they are limited in bandwidth or storage space etc. but for the most part are more than adequate for experimenting with and running a personal web-based database.

I don't want to post direct links to any of the hosting companies, as I don't know which if any of them are on the "naughty" list, nor do I have any direct experience with any, so instead this google search "free hosting linux php mysql" should turn up a few.
Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Clive, I have now installed MySql and libre office, started a database had a bit of trouble connecting to the MySql server but got it worked out started to import some data from CSV files, will have to fine tune as I go along, and most probably make changes as I learn more..
It's been interesting so far and frustrating and fun.
Regards Ray
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   02:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have downloaded a few PDF tutorials and manuals on Libreoffice (ooo) Base and databases in general so going to start to go through those.

Any recommendations on resources or tools (I'm using windows 10 64bit) which will be helpful.

What fields in a table should be included, would like to make the info as comprehensive as possible so as not to add etc, too much in the future.

Thank you all for the help so far.

I have a web host but the connections to the SQL server are very limited. I'm first going to work stand alone on my PC learn the ins and outs in a development environment before a go the full web route.Still getting my head around with my own web site.

Ray
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2450 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My inventory file for US has 30 different fields but do not use them all for every stamp.

You could download a demo copy of StampManage from Liberty Street website to see their implementation. It is a Microsoft Access based database but you can study the tables in the database to see how stamp data can be organized. It is not perfect but a working example.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/21/2019 06:25 am
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have just made a table planing list please have a look any alterations, additions and comments are most welcome.

I tried to get as much as I could think of for a general database. Im sure there are other items I could put in but ill see how the comments go. I wanted to be as comprehensive as I could so as not to add later and cause headaches for myself.
Thank you in advance.

Ray
Regards Ray
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
opps need to attach it, will do this evening
Regards Ray
Valued Member
South Africa
220 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is, I have put a region field into the stamp table since this was done

Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
I am reluctant to spend time inventorying a whole lot of stuff which, to be honest, does not warrant inventorying.

At my price level, working those same hours at a drive-thru window would give me more money than I will ever save by avoiding a duplicate.

OTOH, creating a computer-based inventory from your albums is a great way of looking at stamps without spending more money on more stamps; and, for many stamps, this may be the only time you will ever give them a second glance.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who wonders why no one is talking about the database in Open Office)
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05