Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Use Of Online Albums For Collections

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2443 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I skimmed the list and I also included a field to enter the year of the catalog price and location code (album, page number in some cases).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   6:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion the large number of fields is overkill. The best database table design is when there is nothing left to take away, not when there is nothing left to add. Consider the poor son-of-a-gun (you) who has enter all this data!

The core or main table should not be more than 20 fields. Since it is a relational DB, you can always add additional tables over time. I am unsure what 'drop down' has to do with the database design, a drop down component is an interface element.

You will also need to consider 'data types' when you design the tables; like most things in life there are trade offs with each decision. Unlike spreadsheets, database maintain rigid adherence when entering data; if the DB expects a date then you cannot enter a ???? for the year (if it is unknown). You can establish a value field as a number of numeric data types including specific types like 'currency'. Read up on each data type and understand the pros and cons for the type, do not blindly choose them.

I would start with the establishing the core table and perhaps 2-3 additional tables. I would populate it with a few hundred stamps and then move on to the interface (data entry forms and reports). Make the implementation decisions (platform and tools) and develop your first data entry form and a few simple reports (which would be based upon queries in the database).

When you get to this point, you will have learned a number of things which will facilitate adding additional tables and making your forms and reports more powerful. The last thing you want to do is enter lots of stamp data and then realize you need to make foundational changes to the way you designed the database tables.

A simpler 'main' table with multiple related tables allows for better performance and much more flexibility. For example, rather than having an image field (and I do not recommend storing images in the database but rather just storing file paths to the image file) I typically use a separate 'link' table. The 'link' table supports either absolute or relative links. If you decide to add another image field (perhaps for the stamp back, covers, etc.) or if you want to add a link that returns all eBay 'sold' values; you simply add another field to the 'links' table.
Don
Valued Member
South Africa
217 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you angore and 51studerbaker, great advice will split the table as suggested thank you, I wanted to put all the fields in that I could use sso as not to add to many in the future, your suggestion on a links table is great thank you

ikeypikey im using libreoffice Base wich is an offshoot of open office.

I enjoy stamp collecting, astronomy and fiddling with computers so if I can combine them all three times the fun,
so I collect Astronomy as a topic, and now do my own album pages and starting my own invetory program. so all the more fun for me
Regards Ray
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05