Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Classics From Colombia. Fakes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add will to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I've been digging into these pieces lately but I'm just starting to learn about Colombia pieces... so basically testing my findings so far.

Let's start with Conf. Granadina pieces.

First picture. I feel confident about these pieces except the 5 cents in the bottom right. Is that a pre-philatelic Medellin Franca cencellation?:

Next in line... Again, most look good to me, except the top right and bottom right pieces.

Third picture. Are those good cancels? Again, that 1 Peso is suspicious to me... what do I know:

Ok... I'm lost on this one... I'm afraid they are all bad :( Please, tell me I'm wrong:

I'm pretty confident on this set. They all look good to my untrained eye. Is that red zero on the top right any special?

And finally this one for now. Again, mostly confident... except for the 1 PESO in the top left:

What do you folks say? Any special mark? Thanks in advance!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add will to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way... special thanks to Jerry for sharing his excellent documents (Identifier.docx was super useful!)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
919 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   03:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will

First off: Do you speak and/or read Spanish?

*** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. ***

with a subject of "Colombia" Stamps. I'll transcribe Barriga's notes on these issues and send them to you.

Jerry B
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   05:29 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will,
You do not yet have enough posts to allow other members to message you but in this case I am willing to act as an intermediary with Jerry if desired. You can contact me using the Stamp Smarter contact form.
Don
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add will to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Jerry, I do. and we know each other in real life :) You just don't relate me with Colombian stamps. Understandable, it's totally new to me. A good friend in Venezuela died and I bought his Colombia collection from his wife. The collection seemed good and pretty complete, including states and some nice air mail stamps (and a 6-18-1919 cover with a type 10, which I love!) but you know my allergy to fakes so I want to make sure I can catch most if not all of them.

I followed your advice and grabbed a Barriga... it hasn't arrived yet. The Temprano did though... and I also followed... Timm's advice? and bought a copy of the Vol II of the other book (was it The Workshop, Notes on Forgeries [...]?) It hasn't arrived yet either... Let's see!

Again, thanks for sharing your notes. They've been very helpful.

Don: Thanks for volunteer. However, I rather keep all the conversations in-forum so future readers can, hopefully, benefit from constructive conversations (as I've been doing.)
Edited by will - 07/18/2019 08:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
919 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will

I am assuming that the name Castillo has meaning. Hint was Venezuela.

Take a look at this site:
http://stampforgeries.com/forged-st...a-1859-1869/

I don't know how useful the site is as most forgeries are not described. However, there may be something useful. Another site is:

http://www.fipfakesforgeries.org/fip/?page_id=166

You may need French on this site. (I just found the site).

What year Barriga did you get? Hopefully 1980's. The new ones are not very useful.

Don: Thanks for the offer as intermediary. Since I know this person there is no need to intervene.

Jerry B
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add will to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it rings a bell.

I've also used StampForgeries.com... It's a great resource as well! Given that I'm used to identify fakes and forgeries from Venezuela, the (general) lack of descriptions was not an issue.

And thanks for fipfakesforgeries.com... didn't know that one.

I got a Barriga 1982.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05