Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Those Other 'wildings'

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
224 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Penguins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I wonder how many of this type of 'Wilding' stamps were used for postage?

Cheers
Ron
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2886 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is only a guess, but I suspect that they were not widely distributed and were most used by stamp collectors.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4225 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   02:14 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used the Castles mini-sheet on an eBay package the other day, and I've received the Wildings on auction lots. Don't recall seeing the Castles or the lower denominations from a non-philatelic source.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1589 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only Wildings I ever used were the regular ones. There were two post offices on RAF Lakenheath - a British GPO and a US APO. I quickly discovered that the APO was faster and cheaper.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
Ecuador
19 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add anglobob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was back in the UK in 2003 and used some of the stamps from the Wilding MS on a registered letter .I had to convince the Post Office employee that the stamps were valid,as she had not seen them before or was aware of their existence.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
689 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received a couple on an envelope from a dealer - as a Brit, my hunch is very few were used for everyday post. Probably there will be some value to properly used examples in the future.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05