Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Hinge From A Used Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ccrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,

While consolidating my collection of stamps I find it necessary to remove hinged stamps from books. With unused stamps I plan on soaking in cold water to remove the hinge left on the stamp. Is there any value increase in removing the hinge from the back of a used stamp?

Thanks,

Chris
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6392 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A clean stamp is much more attractive to me, even if it is used. Also, too many hinges left makes your pages thicker.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 07/18/2019 10:43 am
Valued Member
99 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some stamp collectors will not purchase a used stamp that has a hinge remnant on it. If your intent is to sell, then soaking the stamp to remove the hinge should be considered as this will enlarge your prospective customer base.
As for soaking mint stamps in cold water to remove a hinge - never heard of that???
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2886 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With older and classic stamps, a clean back on a used stamp is definitely preferred. Layers of hinges, selvedge, and other paper can hide thins and flaws as well as promote the growth of mold.

You "take your chances" when buying stamps with layered backsides. So, given a choice, the clean stamp is preferred.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unused meaning no gum?
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:15 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This How To section has both articles ands videos on how to remove hinges.
http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Home_HowTo.html
Don
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply all.
I have some mint stamps that were hinged and placed in a book. There is full gum but the hinge leaf remains on the back. I don't know why they hinged a mint stamp but they did. Because they did, I don't think I should call it a mint stamps. I guess this should be called an MH instead of an MNH, eh?

Don,I have been slowing making my way through Stamp Smarter. It is a very informative site. I love it!

Thanks,
Chris
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can try using the flat part of the tweezer (make sure there are no sharp edges) and rub it gently several times on the hinged part to generate sufficient heat to loosen the gum so that you can gently pull off the hinge later. This method is good if you want to avoid soaking the stamp. I must however warn you against using this method on a really valuable stamp and make sure you try it on several cheap stamps first before you attempt on an expensive stamp if decide to give it a go.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For removing hinges from mint stamps, I use a very fine artists paint brush. I dip it in water, then carefully paint the hinge slightly wet. Let it soak in for a minute then repeat as necessary until the hinge gives up. Just be careful not to use too much water that will run past the hinge onto the rest of the gum. A hands-free magnifier helps with this task.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ pennyblackie - I think I am going to give your method the first crack at it.

@Spain_1850 - That sounds like another good method but I am a little too shaky for this one. It looks as if you may specialize in Spanish stamps. I have quite a few. I will probably be in touch on future topics.

Thanks,
Chris
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ccrider, I forgot to mention that the tweezer is not the only thing you can use, you can use any other blunt and smooth object to rub against the hinge, just make sure that it is flat and does not scratch the surface of the stamp. Best of luck and let us know the results once you have tried.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1589 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you soak everything off, it will no longer be mine hinged. It will be unused. I would prefer unused to MH.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - I won't get to if for a while.

Chris
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personal choice. I do not collect mint hinged or unused no gum. Many would prefer mint hinged over unused.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05