Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hungary 1888-98 Without Burelage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The research I've done online says that this stamp, watermark "kr" in oval, must have burelage. Even with high magnification I can't see any. Does anyone know of variants without burelage?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another one from the same series. In this case I couldn't see burelage until the scan. So I'm assuming the black 1K above must also have burelage that's just too faint to see. Or does anyone know of examples without it?
Eric
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Despite what Scott says, there is no burelage underprint on the 1kr, according to Michel and others.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've checked a few other 1Ks, including those from the 1898-9 series, always with the same result: no burelage. So, yeah, it seems Scott, and also a couple of otherwise reliable websites on Hungarian stamps, are wrong here, or at least inadequate. Thanks for the confirmation from Michel (always, I think, a more reliable source on Europe).
Pillar Of The Community
France
576 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Michel catalogue that 1888 set (with kr watermark) is numbered 27/40
with burelage underprint on stamps from #28 to #38,excluding #27 (1 kr)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05