Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Imperforate Revenues First Issue: Good Scissors Or Real Deal Collection?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community

United States
828 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rgstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
any help here on hints determining if scissors involved, or real deal?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4531 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   1:32 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The R84a is clearly bogus. The R100a looks good. The R96a I'd have to see in hand in order to make a determination. The colors on the $5 denominations look good, but again, examination of any of these would be needed to be certain.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $2.50 is the only obvious fake. $2 mortgage is suspect. Some of the $5 would have to be looked at in person. The $50 is probably good, but should be looked at in person to make sure.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
828 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for input. Trying to grasp how much margin needed on these to feel confident? I have looked at a few magnified trying to see any residual perf holes but not really seeing anything obvious

Any other advice here? Paper types or color that I should look for that would discriminate perforated vs Imperforate?

I assume you think 2.50'is bogus because 2 sides are cut into?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1481 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roger,

Here is a certified copy of a genuine R84a. Note the ink color, as compared to the one that you show. Also, the paper is very thin and crisp, and "snaps" when you flick it.

Plus, your copy is cancelled in 1869, which is much later than when the imperf.'s were issued.

Jim

Edited by James Drummond - 07/20/2019 4:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who certified this stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1481 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some outfit called the Philatelic Foundation.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cert 164465, which means it's a very old cert, and was not seen by anyone currently at the PF. Which is what I wished to know.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1481 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, it's an old stamp owned by an old guy for a very long time now.

Is there any reason that you can see to question its genuine-ness?

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like the cancel date, it's actually very late for an imperf $2.50. But this is a stamp that would have to be seen, it's not possible to make any kind of legitimate determination from a scan.
Edited by revcollector - 07/20/2019 6:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1481 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, with a current catalog value of $12,000, the new certificate fee would be more than a few dollars, so my heirs will have to deal with this issue.

Not to argue, but here are some examples with cancel dates that are equal to, or later than, the one that I have.

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not partial to most of those, either. But as I said, nothing can be done from scans.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4531 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:02 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim:

And you'll notice that only one has a PF cert, and that is from 35 years ago. I don't personally trust PSE certs when it comes to U.S. revenues.

Of the four you show, I don't like the ink shade in #2 or #3, and #4 is an obscenely late cancel. The color shade is correct though and the margins are ginormous, so it is possible.

I don't like the impression nor the narrow margins on #1.
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/20/2019 7:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shade for #2 might be fine. Again it's a scan, so it's not the best method.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1481 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes!

All of those buyers at Siegel are gonna be pi**ed!

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last one might easily be a top right corner margin example where they never perforated the outside margins, which is something that was not all that uncommon. So if it was a bit wide on the other two sides......this was also not uncommon for first issue revenues. That's why paper, shade, impression, and date of use are all so important.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05