Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Imperforate Revenues First Issue: Good Scissors Or Real Deal Collection?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 72 / Views: 3,207Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And it was used in NYC. And based on this, it was a very busy company, so how would such a high value stamp be laying around for so long before being used?

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...1867&f=false
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7377 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I demand a formal inquiry!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:17 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it were a San Francisco cancel, I'd be more inclined to believe its legitimacy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, so would I.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1678 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't like the ink shade in #2

Number two is also certified by the Foundation.

Jim

Also, some more certified examples with Sept 1864 and later dates.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   7:29 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

I shouldn't speak for Bart, but I don't think that anyone is saying that a late 1864 cancel means it can't be genuine; just that it's a potential red flag. At least that's my take.
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/20/2019 7:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Number two is a fairly recent cert, so it was seen by people with a strong knowledge of first issues. The stamp with the blue CDS is also fairly old; I doubt if the current people saw it. I don't know who actually saw the old certs at the moment.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1678 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This whole thing about the 'age of certificates' reminds me of all the hassles that I get from various companies that supply our IT infrastructure at my job, along the lines of, "well you're using an old driver for that," or, "you need to upgrade to the latest version/patch level/BIOS/update in order for XXX to work correctly."

To which I always respond something along the lines of, "you know, if I buy a <expletive> hammer at Sears, it's pretty much going to still be a <expletive> hammer a hundred years from now, with all the benefits and issues that that represents. I will never have to upgrade my hammer. Ever."

I don't honestly think that, just because something (whatever that might be) is "old" (however that may be defined, from day to day), it is therefore useless, obsolete, or instantly questionable.

Perhaps this is because I am finding myself in this category, more and more each year (oddly enough).

Then again, old fish is, by and large, useless. So there you go.

Jim

Edit: to put this another way, if any current certification-issuing entity honestly feels uncomfortable with any of their "older" certificates, as to the accuracy of the identification or the faults of the stamp(s) in question, then the right thing to do would be to follow Nissan's, Ford's, GM's etc. examples, and issue recalls for these certificates, so that newer, more accurate certificates are issued in their sted. For free.

And for anyone that says, "well Jim old buddy, ya' know, technology changes all the time, and new information is always being discovered, and there's this "Internet" thingy," and so on, then I say, "then all stamp certificates should come with an expiration date, just like my cans of corn do." Like, "this opinion is useless after five years," or something like that.

End of rant... I think...
Edited by James Drummond - 07/20/2019 9:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   9:21 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Jim, I *will* stay off your lawn.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1678 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(shaking of a curled forefinger, mumbling, drooling a little, unshaven)

"You young whippersnappers!"

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Certs are opinions, not cars. And the "certification-issuing entities" have NOTHING to do with this discussion. Which is simply between collectors about images shown on a PC. As it happens, some here have several decades of experience in looking at these particular items and have certain possible ideas about those items based on that experience. Which, as has been stated already, cannot be proven one way or another without a direct examination of those items. The difference in this case regarding older certs is WHO actually looked at the items in question, and how much experience did they have regarding them. And what technologies were available at the time to help. Stamps are not hammers, either. Hammers are easy, millions of totally identical ones are made every year. They do not change, and no one is taking some other tool and faking it to LOOK like a hammer because hammers are scarce and worth a lot of money. Alas, the same cannot be said about stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7377 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Each hammer is unique and they are faked.

Edit: I have a bunch of old certs that were paid for when issued. I smell a class action lawsuit.
Edited by rogdcam - 07/20/2019 9:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What about this one in the Harmer's International sale?https://stampauctionnetwork.com/hi/hi106.cfm#33
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would clearly be genuine even without a cert. Notice how thin the paper is, the design can be seen from the reverse. And it is correct in all the other aspects as well. There is a real shade and impression difference between imperf and perforated $25 stamps. The paper for the imperfs was rag paper, very thin and hard which took a great impression. The perforated stamps were on thicker softer wood pulp paper, which took a decent but not super sharp impression.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1678 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Certs are opinions

The problem is, that people (usually collectors, but also dealers) pay some good money for those opinions.

If the certificates themselves are deemed nearly worthless after such and such many years, then there should some accountability.

Quote:
The difference in this case regarding older certs is WHO actually looked at the items in question, and how much experience did they have regarding them. And what technologies were available at the time to help

If the certificate-issuing entity is basically disowning certain certificates based on who specifically looked at the item in question, and/or the lack of whatever technology was available at the time, then they are basically issuing their own "get out of jail free" card, which holds them totally harmless from any current or future contrary opinion.

Does this honestly seem like the right way to operate a company in 2019?

If this simple concept continues to elude, then I have nothing further to say.

Jim
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 72 / Views: 3,207Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05