Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Memorable Places On Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add waddsbadds to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought it might be fun to show stamps depicting memorable places we have been. It doesn't have to be in an exotic faraway place, it can be in your home town, just as long as it has been depicted at some point on a stamp. I'll get the ball rolling with two places I have been, one is extremely well known and instantly recognizable throughout the world, the other one not so much. The buildings comprising Great Britain's Houses of Parliament have been depicted on GB stamps several times (also on bottles of the tangy HP sauce!)I have been fortunate enough to have visited the buildings three times and each time had a tour of the chambers of the two Houses: Commons and Lords. Here are shown SG 939 and 940, issued 1973

The other place I was fortunate enough to visit is the Central Railway Station in Helsinki. My wife and I were on a tour of Northern Europe a couple of years ago and spent some time in Helsinki - a beautiful city, by the way - and our hotel was just across the street from this station, a beautiful Art Deco masterpiece built in the late 1920's. We walked over to it to have a look inside and I was intrigued to see on the board showing the departures that you could get a train to St Petersburg. I grew up during the Cold War during which the Soviet Union was a forbidding place virtually unknown in the West, so to think that now you can just hop on a train and be there in a couple of hours (I'm sure there's a little more to it than that) is amazing. Here is a miniature sheet issued in march, 2019. You gotta love those gargoyles.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
687 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the 2015 Gifts of Friendship issue, here's a U.S. stamp depicting the National Diet Building (Kokkai Gijidô) in Tokyo, Japan. The name might be confusing, but it's Japan's parliament, not a weight loss clinic. When I was there in April 2006 (photo below), the cherry trees were in bloom, as they are on the stamp.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by erilaz - 07/20/2019 11:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been to see the Liberty Bell.
I know the Liberty Bell has been on stamps more than once.
I like this design.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Waddsbadds...

Interesting thread. Thx for initiating.

The architect of Helsinki's main rail station was the renown Finnish architect Eliel Saarinen. Beleive this is the second rail terminal to occupy the site. Completed in 1919.

Today it is used by more than 200,000 pax daily. Which is significant per capita use vs many cities in the States.

Particularly like the twined statues holding spherical lamps on either side of the main entry. If I remember correctly, the nearby Romanesque Bldg is the National Art Museum.

The station's style is known as "national romanticist", which is considered a Nordic architectural style. Some arch historians consider this to be an off-shoot of Art Deco.

Eliel was the father of Eero Saarinen. Dulles Air Terminal. TWA Terminal at JFK. Gateway Arch in STL. Cranbrook.

The most famous (historical) passenger actually started his journey at Finland Station in St. Petersburg.

End of architectural history lesson!
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calstamp, thanks for all the additional info on the Helsinki train station, I had no idea it was designed by Eero Saarinen's father. When you mention "the most famous historical passenger" it's pretty obvious who you mean:
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Waddsbadds...

Your welcome. My pleasure.

As is often the case with the design of public bldgs, a competition was held. And while many (most?) of the entries reflected the typical architectural offerings of the period, Saarinen's entry was distinctive. And 100 yrs later remains a bldg of interest.

Yes, you are correct: V.I. Lenin. Beleive the photo on the cover of Wilson's book is the statue which once stood guard near the front the station. Alas, many of the former monuments/statuary have been relegated to a park outside Moscow.

Jim in SoCal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05