Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Postage Due J53 Or J60??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
925 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add spain_1850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not as "up" on my US stamps as I should be. I have this postacard with a 2c postage due stamp. It is perf 10 x 10, and what I believe to be a bright rose color. Perf 10 x 10 could either be a J53 or J60, and J60, according to my catalog, also includes a rose shade. The J60 was issued in 1916, and this card is also dated 1916. The major difference between the 2 that I can see is that one should be watermarked and one should not, but of course without lifting the stamp I will not be able to tell.

Is there anything else I can look for to tell which this is. The J53 is pretty inexpensive, but the J60 has decent value, so for now I will assume it's the cheap one.

Opinions?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1266 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   09:51 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The EDU date reported for the unwatermarked perf 10 2 cent Scott 463 was September 12, 1916. The 1 cent stamp was also issued in September 1916. The official date for changeover to unwatermarked paper was August 17, 1916. See the paper section in the following:

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...nge-fra.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by cfrphoto - 07/21/2019 09:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
925 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great link, thank you. I guess that settles it then, J53. I didn't see any other date listed in Scott, other than 1916. At least this is still on the card with readable postmarks that confirm it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05