Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do People Do This?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1782 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   8:46 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-Inte...AOSwJmtdM2a4

This is a two volume Scott International collection, seller claims half the spaces are filled. He wants $600.

Gosh wouldn't you think he'd give us at least a peek at the contents? Four pics of the binders and the page edges. That's all.

Go figure..
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3229 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like Kelleher.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1293 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For $600 you'd think he'd want to provide an enticement to potential buyers.
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure you get a lot of stamps, but you really have no idea what stamps you are buying for $600.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
619 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He does have best offer available and has 2 offers pending.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1088 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   12:57 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I bid on a stamp collection on eBay I have a simple process, I bid on what I can see and don't extrapolate. In this case I see 2 used binders and some paper. How do I know there are any stamps if I don't see them. I would not buy this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1782 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   2:53 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For all we know he used scotch tape to affix them, and wrote on the pages with felt tip pens. That's an awful lot to ask for something you cannot see.

I messaged him last night suggesting he insert a few pics of the pages with stamps, no reply as yet. Given what usually happens he'll probably get snarky with me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4335 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing is said that the correct stamps are in the proper places and there is not page upon page of sand dunes and iron curtain C-T-O's . There is a lot not being said .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1534 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to wonder why this is a concern at all. The seller estimates 15,000 stamps that are described as mostly used and hinged. If you all bothered to do some arithmetic, that's 4 cents a stamp. The rational buyer would only expect bulk and not loads of hidden $1000 stamps. And do you really expect every page to be scanned or just the ones you'd be interested in? For the latter, you could ask the seller for a few scans. Still, what's that really going to do for you at 4 cents a stamp? Be realistic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4335 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Rational buyer" and where do you find them ????? The albums have pages going up to 1959 but the stamps could be modern day wallpaper and you could be getting 5,000 of the same 80c. green Franco Head stamp .

A SIDE NOTE ----There are no $1,000 stamps that fit into a 1941-1959 Scott International.

It would be interesting to see a few scans ,even a few dozen mint complete sets of that period can turn that offer into a good deal .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1782 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   11:10 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience has been that a few scans of a collection can give me a good idea of what the entire thing is like. No one id suggesting he scan every page, just a few to give bidders a sense of what is in it.
Valued Member
Canada
385 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IPSA vols III & IV cover all the 1950s, nothing from the 1940s. So perhaps worth it to fill in lots of holes, if you had a WW collection very weak for that decade.

That being said, wouldn't buy it without a few scans. If nothing else, tells you how the collector treated his/her stamps.
Edited by gmot - 07/22/2019 11:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1534 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Rational buyer" and where do you find them ?????

Do you mean "not in this thread" or "not on this board" which includes yourself(?) Pretty insulting, which seems to be the intent.

Quote:
A SIDE NOTE ----There are no $1,000 stamps that fit into a 1941-1959 Scott International.

That's about as likely as 5000 80c Franco stamps being here. Neither is realistic in this case. Read that description, request scans.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see a few scans ,even a few dozen mint complete sets of that period can turn that offer into a good deal.

Of course. But that's assuming the seller has the wherewithal to find such material within a few scans. And perhaps a buyer would return it saying the scans were misleading, that the selected scans made the overall collection look better than it really is.

So, has anyone even asked the seller for scans? Or is this just another post on eBay sellers that are not the professionals that you don't trust anyway?

If the seller does not make things easy for himself to sell things, ignore him and move on. Floortrader apparently expects nothing but the very worst case, which is telling to me. Why are others assuming a possible best case for themselves to get a steal? That's also telling. There are many other album lots available after all.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1251 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On eBay Germany there was in the last years always a seller for stamps (forgot his name and did not see him last months) who always and only sold albums that were closed :). There was always 1 (one) photo showing the album but not opened, and no single stamp was shown. In the description there was not a detailed list what stamps there were, but only one line saying something like "Album with France classic stamps, mostly before 1900". Same for USA albums and so on.

I asked once if he could send a photo or even more detailed description, but he said no, he wants to sell it like this and he only had positive ratings - which is true.

He sold each album for at least 50 USD, some going to 150 USD. I guess he really "made" those albums in a way that the buyer should be fine. But I never bought one, as I also like to see what I buy.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could fill up a few albums with my wildings and try selling at $600...lol
Learn More...
6935 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   08:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay sells hope.

Don

Edit: And this is why 'trolling for suckers' is quite successful.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05