Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do People Do This?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
403 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure that if you have thousands of common stamps, and you want to realize as much money as possible selling them, hinging them into a Scott International (in the proper spaces, don't do the thousands of Franco stamps thing) and selling on eBay as an album collection gives the highest realization by far. That's why people do this.

It isn't a good return per hour of work if you start with an empty book, of course, but if you start with an album with a couple thousand (the kind of thing often found in $100-$200 box lots mostly full of detritus) it isn't bad. Certainly if you enjoy putting stamps in the album it can be worth doing.

If you watch the collections category on eBay regularly, a Scott International Volume I with only 4,000-5,000 can sell as high as 6 cents per stamp and routinely sells for around 4 cents per stamp. I'd take pictures of the insides myself, but apparently even not doing that works often enough that sellers keep doing it.

Scott blue Int'ls tend to do the best, even if the binder is beat up, but Minkus Supreme/Master Globals and big thick Harris Citations can do very well too. Actually good albums (specialty albums, hingeless albums, etc.) don't do better, or don't do better enough to justify using them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4343 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Codehappy ----- I always have a set of Scott Albums that I am filling up , then will match page by page to my main collection . Then one of the major firms gets it as a consignment lot for public auction .
Pillar Of The Community
596 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People sure get emotionally worked up over small things. It's an eBay listing for two binders filled with what must be ordinary stamps for those years. They will be "worth" maybe 10c each on average but are selling right now for about 4-5c each. The seller has no obligation to spend time photographing pages for such an average collection. He's saying "Here it is if you want it". There's nothing wrong with that. Don't bid if you don't like it. What in the world is the point of making yourself the Judge of eBay and insisting that sellers do what you think they should do? Yes, I'd also like a lot of pictures, but there aren't any. So guess what? I won't bid. Done. Too many cranky old guys with time on their hands.
Pillar Of The Community
596 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Excuse me while I kiss the sky". That's all I have to say.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
258 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   03:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two reasons why people don't put pictures in an eBay stamp listing:
1. They don't know what they are doing.
2. They do know what they are doing, but would like you to think they don't know.
As an eBay buyer you can look at their other items and sales record to determine whether its case 1 or 2.
If case 1, then you might be able to make a good deal (and maybe not). In case 2 you will not get a good deal.

A lot of naive buyers don't know enough, and just assume its case 1.
Learn More...
6967 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   04:00 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think one the of reasons that you see listings like this is due to eBay policies. Sellers who previously have had items returned to them as 'not as described' tend to then limit future descriptions. With a very minimized description, buyers with remorse cannot abuse the eBay policy by finding some debatable adjective.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
613 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader

Thought you might enjoy these...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1090 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   08:08 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this guy underpriced his albums, check this out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Suprem...047675.l2557
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1787 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   09:18 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wait that Global album collection sold for $99,000 plus? Huh??

Looks to me like a barely usable old album with paper deterioration issues on the pages. I'd love to know what really happened with this listing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
502 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   09:21 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Includes 30+ Stamps. Wow.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1090 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   10:04 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's pretty strange, they sold for $204 on June 23;

and then sold as "Best Offer" on July 17th
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1787 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   10:15 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He apparently upgraded this after buying then resold. He plastered $100 bills on several pages. I mean come on...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
519 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But I don't want $100 bills that have been "plastered" to a page. Why didn't he use proper mounts?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1787 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   10:41 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That strong sweet scent smells just like laundry detergent.

There's more going on here than meets the eye.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3613 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don opens this issue really well!

For me it was not'not as described'but buyers with remorse sending me neg messages that could have turn into neg feedback. So listing info has been limited. This was my answer to this issue.

Quote:
Sellers who previously have had items returned to them as 'not as described' tend to then limit future descriptions. With a very minimized description, buyers with remorse cannot abuse the eBay policy by finding some debatable adjective.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05