Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

General Questions On China/China Republic "Vs." Peoples Republic Of China

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1103 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mobilman44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I have developed a deep interest in the stamps of China - thru to 1960. I've put together a separate album for the country using Steiner pages, and it works really well. Still, I have a few basic questions that perhaps you all can help me with.

1. Did the PRC utilize any of the older Chinese stamps - particularly those of Dr. Sun Yat-sen and the "Martyrs"?

2. Other than the obvious English writing, is there any markings that would distinguish the PRC stamps from the ROC or earlier China?

3. I'm thinking of separating the China/ROC pages from the PRC pages in my "alphabetized by country" albums - with the earlier China and ROC under "C", and the PRC under "P". Has anyone else done this?

Thank you!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Whoa. Your questions cover a lot of territory.

IMO separate albums are the way to go. One for China (Imperial and Republic). And one for PRC. (I have a third album for all of the "territorial" issues.)

I also use Steiner album pages. Which I have found to be a good value. The caveat being the quality of paper you intend to use.

The Scott catafalque is a good starting point. However, if you intend to "specialize" you will likely wish to purchase one or more of the specialty catalogues.

1949 was a critical year in Chinese political history. Hence, you will see the division btwn ROC and PRC postal issues.

Am not aware of any PRC use of Sun Yat-Sen issues or "martyr" issues. As that would be akin to placing the visage of the leader of the "enemy" political entity/party on one's postal issues.

In terms of differentiating btwn ROC and PRC issues: First, PRC issues started in 1949. And IIRC ROC issues are identified as such from that point forward.

Have fun.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France
576 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi.
I would not recommend any Scott catafalque,unless you're dead,of course.
Edited by vayolene - 07/22/2019 1:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4229 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   2:09 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never met anyone here - although they may exist in the Foreign Office - who refers to the "People's Republic" and the "Republic". It's simply China and Formosa (or, more recently, Taiwan). So the stamps of China, both before and after 1949, would be one group, and those of Formosa/Taiwan, the other.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Vayolene...

Must agree with your advice.

Combination of my poor typing ability and very unusual auto-correct word choice.

Jim
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Geoff...

Using the 2016 Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue as the point of reference, there are three relevant sections. The first is entitled "China", the second "Republic of China", and the third "People's Republic of China". Despite its shortcomings, Scott is arguably the most "popular" published philatelic resource in North America (the country of residence for the initiator of this thread).

The Scott index lists three entries for "Taiwan". The first ties back to a parenthetical entry under "Republic of China". The second entry ("Taiwan, Japanese") pertains to a listing of 100-plus stamps included within the BOB listing at the end of the "Rep of China" section. These issues date to 1945 - 1949, and I believe we're prepared by Japanese authorities for use in "Taiwan" prior to the end of WWII. The third entry
"Taiwan (Republic of China)" also ties back to a parenthetical entry under "Republic of China".

The Scott also includes three entries for "Formosa". Which individually tie back to the entries listed above.

So geopolitics aside, how would you have answered the OP's query.

Jim (not formerly of Whitehall)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4229 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   3:33 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim - if my collecting focus were China, I'd have them run directly after one another - China pre-1949, China post-1949, odd groups from within China around the civil war period, then Formosa/Taiwan/"Republic of China", then Manchuria. Maybe Hong Kong and Macao and foreign post offices. And any other bits, such as local posts. That is, ditch the alphabet, so you get a complete sense of the stamps in relation to the country

Geoff (ex of Whitehall)
Pillar Of The Community
598 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The general history of "China" gets split in 1949 into PRC (People's Republic of China) and Taiwan ("Republic of China"). So you'd have to decide which country of those two current countries would get China's early pre-1949 stamps. My inclination is to include them as part of the "Republic" (Taiwan) since that seems more continuous to me, but every person in mainland China (PRC) would scream at me for saying that, I imagine. You could also have a small early China collection in one volume plus two additional volumes for PRC and Taiwan.

I certainly consider them all part of the same country historically, or maybe better "country area," and would not separate them alphabetically or physically from each other (in your binders, I mean). In other words a Volume 1, 2 and perhaps 3. Keeping them continuous and not separate makes much better historical sense. I do this even with my Scott International albums where predecessor states go immediately before current states such as Bechuanaland just before Botswana, or SW Africa just before Namibia, and so on. To do otherwise distorts the history too much for my taste, at least. I was a history teacher.

The main difficulties with collecting China today include the high prices Chinese stamps have been driven up to over the last few decades. I can barely afford them when, at one time, they were modestly priced and not terribly popular. That sure has changed. China is a somewhat rare example today of a country's stamps rising dramatically in value, probably due to large collector and/or investor interest in China. Investor interest due to concerns about China's economy and currency by even Chinese themselves who look for fairly liquid, portable investments. Or so I've been told. And it's an enormous market with many people who have money to spend (compare with India, for example). If there is ever a bust in the China stamp market, though, I will go back to buying.

The Scott catalogue is fine for both Chinas but there are also a few specialized catalogues -- for each country -- plus the older Ma catalogue for classic era China. Perhaps others. And there's a China Stamp Society in the U.S. you can join which has a good journal. And I think a similar society in the UK, as well.
Edited by DrewM - 07/22/2019 5:18 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the additional input. DrewM. And thanks for addressing my negligence to mention the Chinese Stamp Society. Jim Maxell and his crew have done yeoman's work across the last several years documenting and promoting this interesting collecting area.

Believe the CSS will have its annual membership mtg later this year as part of BALPEX.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2755 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1st issues of the Red Post 1930 in Southwest Jiangxi [Kiangsi], West Fukien [Fujian], Northeast Jiangxi, & Jiangxi.
On the question was any of the Red China Postal system used National China issue is a YES. Mostly overprinted with Chinese characters translated as "Temporary Use".
The best Chinese's catalogues are Yang's for Red Posts to 1950 & PRC from 1949, Ma's for Imperial to 1911, Nationalist China to 1949, Japanese Occupation 1941-45, Manzhouguo 1932-45, Kerr, Manchuria Russian Soviet Occupation 1945-46, and Sakura for Japanese Occupation 1941-45, Taiwan [Formosa}

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1103 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mobilman44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the great information!

One more question......Before I went to the Steiner pages for China, I had the Scott's International pages thru 1960 - issued in 1986 to the best of my recall.

However, I don't have any of the Scott's pages for the PRC - which I assume was because it was not officially recognized (?). Does Scott's now publish the PRC pages? If so, I would like to get them from 49 to 60.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4229 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   07:01 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

***Removed***
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05