Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US #1 And #2 On Covers - Expertize

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,871Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One or two auction sale appearances for an item is not a provenance, whether they are name sales or not. A quick look notes a Siegel sale from the 1980s; where was this cover before then? Otherwise, we see auctions in the 2000s, hardly proof of an unbroken chain of custody to indicate a genuine cover of the 1847 issue. I see only one price reported for any of the three covers above. Even that does not mean it actually sold. With a name sale, the items included are not necessarily that of the collector in question unless specified. The cover to JJ Stuart is from a known correspondence but we've seen covers faked using the lesser covers from other accumulations. That said, I'm confident the 10c cover here is genuine, for whatever that is worth.

The Shroud of Turin has a provenance that goes back to the 1300s. It was and is by itself insufficient proof of genuineness. Faith might tell you one thing, but a report from the 1300s calling it a forgery and radiocarbon dating say it is a fake.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 07/23/2019 1:57 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
471 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've decided to take the 5 cent Bridgeport and the 10 cent covers to the APS show for PF to examine. Not going to bother with the other 5 cent for now. I trust that the certificates I get back are a little more precise than the one for the item below from my collection.

Learn More...
8264 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   2:21 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1829 - clearly an Earliest Known Use!
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great when certs are pictured. Topic subscribed. Waiting for the showing of the certs.
Valued Member
Learn More...
471 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I gave the two covers in question, along with about 15 other stamps including the 404 cited in one of my other threads, to Larry Lyons at the PF booth today. Will be interesting to see how they all come back.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
428 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had heard of the New Haven Yale bulldog cancel, but never actually seen an example before. Thanks! It's a neat cover.
Pillar Of The Community
1067 Posts
Posted 08/06/2019   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being on the USPCS list or having been auctioned by a well known auction company or having come from a collection of a well known collector is not a certification. I see some things that give me some pause but that is just my eye and I am not the level of expert that person who would do the certification for either the APS or the PF would be. If you want to be sure that all three of these are "right" and if you want to sell them in the future as being certain as to what they seem to be then you will need to have them certified by either the APS or the PF and if they come back as genuine in all respects then keep those certificates with the covers when you go to sell them. You will get better prices for them with such certificates.
Valued Member
Learn More...
471 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Following up on this thread as promised - below are the PF certs for the #1 and #2 on cover that I said I would submit for expertization. No matter what I do to the first image, it keeps turning sidways.

Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 09/23/2019 9:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you ever so much for showing the certs. A great day in my life. Very nicely done.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Learn More...
471 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
redwoodrandy - thank you much for the kind comments and for flipping the image so that others can read it more easily.
Pillar Of The Community
1067 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know that a great many covers from this era and up through decades later rarely have a date in their cancellations and the only way to know for sure when such covers were sent depends on the original enclosure being present or the recipient docketing - normally by handwriting - when it was received. But not knowing the date is frustrating to me. Sometimes one can use the post mark useage to bracket some years, but even that is still tantalizingly unfulfilling for me. Maybe I'm just too picky.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 09/24/2019   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oracle of Delphi, many, many thanks for the followup.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,871Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05