Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Typo On Irish Moon Landing Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
650 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canadianphilatelist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49085026

The Irish word for moon is "gealach". But the stamp accidently spelled it "gaelach", which means "the Irish language".

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
650 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadianphilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Ireland
154 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see they have issued an Apollo-gy.
Its a bit embarrassing but these things happen.
Wasnt there a USA stamp that wasnt the Statue of Liberty (a replica) and nobody noticed for weeks.
And a British stamp featured the Isle of Wight but it was printed as the Isle of White.I think this one was spotted before issue but naturally some escaped into the Wild.
Even if An Post recalls the stamps and re-issues a corrected version, there will be no value to the original stamps as thousands have been sold.

For stamp collectors the lesson is clear. "Whatever You Say, Say Nothing"
Unfortunately the quarterly bulletin advising new issues was not online until about 11pm on 3rd July. The stamp was issued the next day and that is also the day that the paper version appeared in the GPO.
If it had been due for issue in August or September, it is likely that some eagle eyed person would have spotted it, bought several sheets after 9am and then told the Post Office at about 11am.
Back in 2014, An Post issud a stamp to commemorate the centenary of the Irish Citizen Army and a few days before, a historian in NUI Galway noticed that the person depicted was not Jack White as stated on the stamp. The stamp was withdrawn just before 9am on the date of issue but some post offices had already sold the stamp. The General Post Office in Dublin (and I think Cork and Galway) opens at 8.30am
As a consequence I am usually one of the first three customers at the Philatelic Bureau.
The Jack White stamp is not catalogued by Gibbons. I have one mint but of course they are almost impossible to find in used condition but I have heard of two people who found them in kiloware.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05