Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Used Forged Souvenir Sheets And Se-tenant Multiples?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

187 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JR1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I was reading through my 2013 copy of the Unitrade catalogue and there is a reference in the intro that reads as follows:

"Be aware that at least one source has been creating used souvenir sheets and se-tenant multiples by using an out-of-period cancelling device and offering these for sale."

Does anyone know to what they are referring, and are there any examples out there? I could not find anything online.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tkoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do recall seeing them on eBay. It was a Quebec cancellation...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
403 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was it readily recognizable as being out-of-period? That's the only hint that statement gives.
Valued Member
187 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JR1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right, but what is wrong with cancelling genuine stamps?

I recall often getting mail from dealers with blocks and se-tenant multiples which obviously get cancelled with out of period cancels.

I don't understand what the warning is for.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4226 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   02:03 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the suggestion that the "source" has been using his own cancellation device, rather than their having been cancelled by the post office?
Pillar Of The Community
718 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started a topic on 01/21/2015 called: "World Junior Hockey Championship - Same Day Cover"
It featured a Picture Post stamp (which takes weeks to arrive) with a date the same as was printed on the stamp!
This is impossible!
Perhaps this is the seller that Unitrade is referring to. He made a few of these "First Day Covers" for sale on eBay.
He was obvioiusly cancelling them himself: Kalona BC, I believe.
Valued Member
187 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JR1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa, good point, I think that's it.

That still begs the question, what would someone gain by doing this? Turning mint stamps into used seems like a poorly considered scheme. Unless they are trying to create forgeries of first day of issue cancels? Forgive me, I don't quite get it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1256 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One example of cancelling new stamps is to create a philatelic cover showing in use of special items such as se-tenant pairs of the recently issued Bear stamp. This one is a cover from the uncut sheet (1500 issued) and only a few such pairs probably cancelled on day of issue (in fact this one was canncelled and sent 1 day before it being issued). This makes for an unusual item for bears collectors.
Valued Member
187 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JR1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see, thanks Gilles, that makes sense.

Are there other advantages or is it basically limited to creating covers?

Any advice for spotting such "fakes?"
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1256 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JR1960, look at Unitrade on pp 640 and 641. Generally the used ones (with different configuration from normal philatelic/over the counter stock) from uncut sheets are more valuable than mint NH. Not a large difference, but in the long run, they are far fewer, and may command a small premium, to the specialized collector.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05