Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Issue Perforated Revenue, High Dollar?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 2,445Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
875 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rgstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
twenty dollar is fabulous centering for issue, I think?
seems better centered than almost everyone at Siegel.
However, oxidized significantly? 1 short per at bottom
treat it?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6941 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Probate of Will is very well centered. Needs a peroxide treatment. The $15 looks like the milky blue shade.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
448 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice stamp, even with the oxidation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   5:13 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The centering is nice and yes, Hydrogen Peroxide will brighten it up nicely, but the bottom margin concerns me. It looks as if there could be significant damage at the center; hard to tell based upon the image.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
875 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for feedback. I'm quite nervous about treating a possible 1000$+ stamp with peroxide bath. Honestly I get nervous just removing from album as it is hinged. I have read extensively on peroxide treating but treating a 10$ stamp is a lot different than this. I have treated a few stamps with peroxide over the last few years but never a stamp this large size or potentially valuable. If it remains oxidized for another 10 years, will it be harder to reverse?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
875 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenuecollector:

I will have to remove it from album page. I'll post better scan once I do it.
The scary part is when a thin is under the hinge and then you worry you caused it by removing the hinge.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6941 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that there are perf discs on the bottom, I don't think it's damage.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
573 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   07:05 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't try pulling the hinge off. Soak it in warm water until the hinge removes itself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6941 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One can use an artist's paint brush or a q-tip to put water on the hinge area and remove it without soaking the entire stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
875 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Am I better off just soaking in peroxide bath for few hours... hinge should come off and stamp go back to original color? Wash it in water after, then dry it under a heavy book?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6941 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not soak it in peroxide. I would paint it on with a small artists brush. It should not take very long, and when the color returns then give it a bath in plain water.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1587 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rgstamp,

I would take Revcollectors suggestion, but also start with a very diluted mixture of peroxide and water to start.

You can always increase the percentage of peroxide to water the next time, but if you start with full strength, you can't go back.

Jim
Learn More...
8371 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   10:54 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be especially careful if you are using a new bottle of Peroxide. Peroxide is quite unstable once exposed to air, so as soon as you open a bottle it begins to lose strength. The longer it sits around after opening, the weaker it becomes. This often makes it difficult to use previous experiences to determine treatment durations, application amounts, etc.
While I have never had to dilute, I agree with Jim that proceeding with caution is a good idea.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2133 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would also practice with peroxide a few more times on cheap throw-away stamp(s) -- even if not sulfuretted, just to make sure you have it down and you don't wind up with a blank piece of paper.

Once you get the peroxide treatment down, the stigma about it will disappear.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
875 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for advice . I will post results at some point (will need to find a few hours without kids or wife)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1587 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May want to read this thread, too:

Jim

http://goscf.com/t/29402

and this one:

https://stamporama.com/discboard/di...=20&id=16115

Edited by James Drummond - 07/26/2019 11:45 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 2,445Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05