Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Issue Perforated Revenue, High Dollar?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
7571 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   11:58 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6264 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People also remove oxidation from mint stamps by putting the stamp in a box above a dish of peroxide; over time the fumes will be enough to return the shade to original. It does take longer.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 08/10/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fiscals to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't soak in peroxide! Put a little peroxide on with Q-tip. Then cover with napkin or toilet tissue, and apply warm iron. Speeds up the reaction many-fold!

Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 09/01/2019   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcanman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The R99c is a beauty. The term oxidation is often wrongly used as it is here. The stamp needs to be oxidized. Currently it is sulphurized. Remember, oxidizing a sulphurized stamp removes a bit of the ink in the process. Heating the 2% solution of hyrogen peroxide can speed the process greatly. Do not forget to bathe the stamp in cold water IMMEDIATELY after the process. Good luck!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
862 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
f/u after stamp treated (I put in hydrogen peroxide bath for 20 minutes) then washed with lukewarm water bath. hinge came off in bath.

After treatment:

Before treatment:

from what I can tell it is sound although there is some excess ink at bottom. (this was there prior to my treatment)
no thins or repairs when analyzed wet. no creases.
I'm happy with results I think.
Of course now I have one stamp on page in a mount and rest just hinged.
I will probably take them all off and mount them to make look nicer
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4533 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   1:47 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you use a clear mount, it will integrate nicely with the hinged ...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4685 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   4:39 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely! I'm glad I was wrong about the damage at bottom. Nice centering. Note how much more legible the cancel is now.

Finding a nicely centered example of R99c isn't easy.
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
f/u after stamp treated

You scared me for a second! At first I thought f/u was something akin to FUBAR.

Quote:
If you use a clear mount, it will integrate nicely with the hinged ...

I'm also picky with my album's appearance. I see other options as well:

You could trim the stamp maybe 2 or 3 mm from all sides so you can use a smaller mount that fits in the box.
Advantage: It would get rid of any questionable perf tips.
Disadvantage: The stamp gets completely ruined.

OR

You could get different pages that don't cram the stamps as much.
Advantage: You get to have new pages.
Disadvantage: You have to get new pages.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A third option would be to abandon mounts entirely if you have some old peelable hinges.

ADVANTAGE no ugly mounts
DISADVANTAGE you should not use the current generation of hinges which are not readily reelable.
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Suggest getting mounts that fit better. . .and on tall stamps like this, I prefer to use "landscape" mounts at 90 degrees than use "portrait" mounts. The stamp will fit better, hold better, be easier to place in the mount, and be easier to remove from the mount.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Suggest getting mounts that fit better. . .and on tall stamps like this, I prefer to use "landscape" mounts at 90 degrees than use "portrait" mounts. The stamp will fit better, hold better, be easier to place in the mount, and be easier to remove from the mount.

Agreed
Edited by pcerio - 12/13/2019 1:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those look great!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05