Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited A Collection: How To Begin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Garreck27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've inherited a collection of stamps from my father (78). He was born and raised in Sweden and this collection is mostly stamps from his uncle with a little input from himself over the years. The collection is heavily European and seems to start pre WWII (a lot of war time era stamps). I have a couple actual books with stamps sorted by country as well as envelopes by country and then a box of just loose stamps.

I have a few questions:
I live in between Chicago, IL and Milwaukee, WI. There has to be some exonerate I can show this to to get some advice. Anyone local?

How should I sort the bulk stamps?

what am I not thinking of asking? There is so much I don't know.

Thank you for any tips or assistance you can offer!

Garreck
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you scan some pages to show wha you have? I don't understand what an exonerate is.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1098 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can contact Rasdale Auctions

35 Chestnut Avenue
Westmont, IL 60559
Phone (630) 794-9900

They can take a look at it an give you some idea about value. It would be good to post pictures here so we can tell you if it's worth the trip.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Garreck27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rdavid: "expert", is what I meant to type. Sorry for the typo!

@krelyea: thank you! I'll post some pics
Pillar Of The Community
2167 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For anyone to give meaningful advice, it would be helpful to know generally whether you desire to:
1. retain the collection and develop it as your own,
2. retain the collection and let it sit for the next generations to take over,
3. liquidate the collection retaining a small "remembrance portion" which has some family meaning,
4. liquidate it all, or
5. need an insurance or appraisal value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 07/30/2019   01:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent advice by John Becker
Learn More...
7072 Posts
Posted 07/30/2019   04:57 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Garreck27,
Welcome.
The best way to start is to utilize this community by posting some representative images of the collection. Once the scope of the collection is understood, then you can revisit the list that John Becker has posted above.
Don
United States
4 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KaoticKollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also received a few stamps recently and was wondering around what ballpark the value of what I have.. I appreciate any feedback whatsoever. I'll post pics
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome KaoticKollector to our community,

The personal value of these treasures lies in the fact of its family connection. Hopefully this exceeds its current financial value and you can keep at lest some of it as a family treasure for you and future generations to enjoy.

That being said, John Becker outlined the basic options.

The next step you should take comes down to your interests be them financial gain, heirloom preservation, or hopefully enjoyment of our hobby. You should be able to find helpful info detailing whatever path you chose to follow here in this community.
Edited by hoosierboy - 08/17/2019 12:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do not go to Rasdale - they are not a good company to deal with! There is a stamp show on Sept 14-15 in Oakbrook Terrace: http://www.msdastamp.com/ Take your stamps there and ask several dealers what they think.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05