Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

People And Events That Should Be On A US Stamp But Aren't

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 4,251Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
513 Posts
Posted 07/30/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lpmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just thought it would be interesting to see member's thoughts on distinguished Americans and great events that for some strange reason have been overlooked by the Postal Service and have never appeared on a US stamp. I have a few overlooked candidates and events in mind, but will wait until everyone else has had an opportunity to chime in.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A single or seten representing the Industrial Revolution.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1021 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure we've ever had a stamp series honoring famous Indian tribes. That would be interesting. It was their land, after all.

I'd also like a series celebrating our immigrant history since that's who we all basically are ( If you're not, you belong in the group above). Mary Antin, the young turn-of-the-century immigrant from Poland (I think that's right) who wrote a famous autobiography about her experiences in America would be a good first choice. Jacob Riis is another but I think he's already been on a stamp. And so on.

And I'd like to see a series of stamps on famous American inventors, though that's been done a little already. Not just Edison, but less well-known inventors.

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CL_Arctos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it would be cool to have a series of stamps picturing little-known/little-talked about wonders of each state. For example, everyone thinks of New York City when they think of New York State, but it only makes up a tiny portion of the state. There's the Adirondack Mountains, the Finger Lakes, etc.

It would also be really cool to have a set of stamps honoring each of the Great Lakes (I know we've had some Great Lakes lighthouse stamps and some environmental Great Lakes stamps, but I'm talking stamps specifically featuring each lake). Maybe a se-ten in which all the stamps connect up into a map of the whole region?
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I live at the tip of Lake Erie, I love the idea of a se-tenant set for the Great Lakes. Also, I'd like to see some other sports honored. USPS has loved baseball in the past, but how about some love for football? I'd like to see a set featuring gridiron heroes past, and maybe some old stadiums. Pro or college, either would be great. And I have to believe there's a Dale Earnhardt stamp out there in the planning stages.
Learn More...
9752 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   09:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dr. Willem Johan Kolff
Born in Netherlands and immigrated to the US. Part of the Dutch Resistance to the Nazi Germany in WW2, Kolff also invented the dialysis machine. In an incredible selfless act, Kolff freely shared its design plans and intentionally did not seek a patent on this life saving invention. Since its invention in 1945, the dialysis has saved literally millions of lives. There are currently over 400,000 dialysis patients alive today in the US alone.
https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...IC_ID=52988&

I realize that Harry Potter and popsicle ice crème might be popular stamps but omitting this man from recognition seems to be a gross oversight.
Don
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about a series about hobbies? Like...uh...stamp collecting, etc.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CL_Arctos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EdziuMM, there have actually been several stamp collecting issues in the past: US #2198-2201, #1474, and I think there may be one or two others I'm missing :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
559 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see a Flint Michigan water stamp, where all the proceeds go to helping those folk get clean water.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
513 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some great ideas on overlooked subjects. How about a semi-postal to clean up Flint water? And wouldn't a Dale Earnhardt and racing champions series of stamps be a popular one? The Native-American tribes certainly haven't received nearly enough attention on our stamps, and a HOMES issue makes great sense considering the Great Lakes historical importance to our country. I have to admit I'd never thought of any of these when I started this post. My ideas truly pale by comparison!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2021 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   8:07 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In no particular order:

1. A series honoring science fiction and horror writers such as Lovecraft.
2. How about a series depicting US first ladies? Vice presidents?
3. Canada had very popular stamps depicting logos of NHL teams. Couldn't the same thing work with MLB or NFL teams?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Norman Borlaug, father of the Green Revolution and Nobel Peace Prize winner, whose innovations in plant breeding are credited with saving over a billion people from starvation. He's only been gone a few years, so it's not like he's been ignored for a long time, but it's hard to think of anyone more deserving.
Edited by TheArtfulHinger - 08/01/2019 8:49 pm
Learn More...
9752 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   9:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Art,
Some folks feel differently about Borlaug, and that might be an obstacle with getting him on a stamp...
https://www.theguardian.com/global-...nace-society
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

I'm aware Borlaug has his detractors as Borlaug dealt with many of them during his lifetime, but thankfully they're in a pretty distinct minority. The last thing I want to do here is get into an in depth discussion of all the pros and cons to Borlaug's work (which can get into touchy political issues if one delves deeply enough) but if most of his detractors had their way they'd have went ahead and let people starve in the name of some sort of ecological purity. I don't mean this sarcastically: I'm not sure there are any major positive actions one can take that don't also have some sort of negative if one looks hard enough. It would be like refusing to honor the moon landing because it was too expensive, or refusing to commemorate service dogs* because they poop in the wrong place sometimes.

* That one came to mind because I was there at the first day ceremony at the APS show in Omaha today.
Learn More...
9752 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   02:50 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood and agreed about not getting into the weeds with the pros and cons of Borlaug's work. I was trying to say that in this day and age, where online social media and boycotts seem to have a significant influence in higher level decisions, anything that even hints at controversy might be avoided by the stamp selection committee. It is far easier to issue a stamp for ice cream.
I think the same holds true for a NFL stamp or a Flint water stamp. Those subjects might be considered risky by a committee which would rather dodge any subject which might create push back. The path of least resistance are 'safe' stamp subjects like Sesame Street, State Fairs, and dragons. Virtually no potential negatives about these kinds of subjects.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   03:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A handful of ideas:
Zebulon Pike
Mother Cabrini
La Salle
Great American Novels
Consumer Products made possible by advances in quantum physics

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 4,251Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05