Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

People And Events That Should Be On A Us Stamp But Aren't

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
75 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oracle of Delphi- I liked a few of the new stamps- the locomotives and the moon landing were good. The rest as you say "meh". I liked Lennon. I was a grade school beatlemaniac when he was new to the scene but I wonder how he got on a US stamp. I'd think a UK stamp would be more appropriate.

Talking about the poor design state of some stamps made me think of this-- A young musician just starting a career goes to a fortune teller who says " The good news is you will be so famous you"ll be honored with a stamp. The bad news is it'll be a crappy stamp."
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
768 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lennon moved to New York in 1971 and lived in the U.S. until his death in 1980, although he was embroiled in legal battles with the immigration authorities until 1976, when he was finally granted permanent residency (a "green card"). He would have been eligible for U.S. citizenship in 1981.

The U.K. issued a set of Beatles stamps in 2007; six of the stamps feature album cover art, and the other four feature Beatles memorabilia.
Valued Member
75 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
erilaz--Man was I ignorant. I was aware of Lennons' bio and his problems settling in the US. I wasn't really considering his status as a world citizen. When I looked for those UK stamps on the web, I saw that he's honored on stamps in countries around the world. It all makes sense now.

Valued Member
116 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A series on railroad station architecture has not yet been done.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3722 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Carnegie Libraries. Underground Railway Stops. Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients.
Valued Member
75 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Medal of Honor recipients have been commemorated on US stamps in the past as a group and as individuals.

I would like to see a series on the underground rail stops. There are supposed to be a couple in my neighborhood with actual underground tunnels and hideaways. I've never been able to determine if it's true or just local lore.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I started this topic, I said that i'd let everyone get their "two cents" in before I mentioned my offerings, and there have been some really great ideas here. I wish that the US Postal Administration's stamp advisory committee or whatever it is called takes notes. As for my own suggestions, I'm surprised that many of the Abolitionist speakers writers, and politicians have been overlooked. Granted Frederick Douglas, Sojourner Truth, John Brown, and Harriet Beecher Stowe, and others have been so honored, but there are others who also carried a heavy burden on the journey towards the abolition of slavery, and the creation of the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments like Thaddeus Stevens, and Henry Ward Beecher, to name just a couple. My number #1 pick though for being honored on a US stamp would be Senator Charles Sumner from Massachusetts who was very nearly beaten to death on the floor of the Senate by a senator from South Carolina who disagreed with Sumner's stance on slavery. Like John Brown, Sumner had his blood spilled in his fight against racial injustice and for the freedom and equality of all men.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05