Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Baaaa! Baaaa!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 193 / Views: 35,116Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 01/28/2010   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Not only does Australia have more sheep than people, it looks as though Australia may have more sheep on stamps than any other country.

If I recall my US history correctly, sheep and sheep farmers have generally been looked down upon. That could explain why the US doesn't have much for sheep on stamps. KirkS shows the only issue I am aware of that commemorates domestic sheep (Scott 1423) Bighorn sheep, being wild and native to North America are sheep of a different catagory. There are 3 issues on Bighorns (Scott 1467, 1880 and 1949). It seems to me that there was a Christmas stamp with a nativity scene depicting a lamb or two but I cannot put my finger on it.

Thanks Steve for the topic.

Marty
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure.
It seems like the U.S. have only about 10 million sheep.
If some of the cowboy movies are to be believed, the sheep farmers were always run out of town by the cattle farmers.

To be on par with Aus (per head of population), they would need 2 billion sheep.

Steve
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33044 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome, puzzler
not sure I shall stick around, the forum seems
"clunky" somehow, and there is no way of replying to a specific poster, we just have to tack on our response at the end.
A pity, seems lots of knowledgable guys and gals here
rod222
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222,
It's a share and share alike type of forum I think.

You just put the person's name before your message to them and everyone sees it but you can tell by the name that it's directed towards that person.

After 50 quality posts you can use the email system also.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222,
The pity is, you are making your opinion known far too soon !
That's the pity.
Clunky...Mmmm, I have just looked up that word in the Oxford Dictionary for scholars and it says 'the sounds of two metals banging together' ! I can only assume you think we are a bunch of robots !
Regarding your inability to reply to specific poster...just do what I did now. I wrote your name !

Don't forget, this is a forum where everyone joins in whenever they want. Tacking your piece on the end is the usual thing to do in any forum. We will all read it and learn, hopefully.
You showed some interesting items [to me], so why spoil it by dashing off into the blue yonder ?

Stick around, you may be pleasantly surprised !

Londonbus1......BAAAAAAA! BAAAAAA!
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1749 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great sheep topic! Thanks for posting-
would never have thought about sheep
stamps prior to this.
Gussyboy1
Nobody gets in to see the Wizard. Not nobody. Not No How!"
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back to the flock, Gussy.

Steve
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add King Conn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is under the heading of useless information. In the late 1920's my grandfather ran about 50,000 head of sheep in Utah and Nevada. It was when wool was king for fabric and yes cattlemen looked down on sheepmen.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
50,000 sheep is a lot of sheep!

Baad cattlemen, baaad.
Is there an echo in here?

This whole thread has got me looking at sheep stamps now. And goats. Sign, cattle too.

Do I have a new topic or a problem?
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada seems to have only bighorn mountain sheep.

Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add King Conn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In one of the posts Dianne Earl said " thanks for sharing" I say to the Aussies "thanks for shearing"
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 01/29/2010   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add litphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can only say ... WOW
Pillar Of The Community
2664 Posts
Posted 01/30/2010   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
you can say that one more time litphil
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2844 Posts
Posted 04/20/2011   5:13 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 04/20/2011   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
behhh ! thats an attractive stamp ! my son is making a leg of lamb for Easter...my wife a ham...i will bring the mint jelly !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 193 / Views: 35,116Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05