Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proprietary Printed And Hand Stamped Cancels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,294Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
85 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sideshowbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This forum has been quite for a couple of days so I thought I would share some new printed cancels.

First up is Newbauer & Co, a San Francisco match company:

This one is James Eaton, a match manufacturer in Utica, NY:

This one is P. T. Ives, a match manufacturer in Wallington. CT. Proprietary cancels are rarely seen on Foreign Exchange revenues:

Next up is Brown & Durling, a match manufacturer in Wadsworth, OH:

And last, but not least, E. R. Tyler, a match manufacturer from Rag Hollow, CT:

Some of these are quite rare, with maybe only 2-3 copies known.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 08/03/2019   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All the companies above issued Private Die match stamps. The really rare one is the Ives on a Foreign Exchange, since that title was not supposed to be used for proprietary articles. Only Proprietary or Playing Cards stamps were supposed to be used. I have never seen any printed Match and Medicine cancel on a Foreign Exchange stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
540 Posts
Posted 08/03/2019   06:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very nice group of cancels. in the condition yours are in all would rate at least scarce. I echo revcollector re the foreign exchange use.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5347 Posts
Posted 08/03/2019   3:45 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Also, great dramatic double transfer on that R22c along the right side.

My Brown & Durling example uses a different font for the B&D than yours:

Regarding printed proprietary cancels on wrong stamp types, the only other company I've encountered to do this is the playing card company Andrew Dougherty. I guess when you ran out of the appropriate stamp, any port in a storm...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1336 Posts
Posted 08/03/2019   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't aware of proprietary cancels; thanks for the education. Were these printed on a full sheet of mint stamps, similar to pre-cancelled postage stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 08/03/2019   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have two that are recorded in Howard Beaumont's listing of printed cancels, but I have never been able to determine what the initials stand for. Any guesses? (Of course, they may not even be proprietary.)

Edited by rustyc - 08/03/2019 5:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5347 Posts
Posted 08/03/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Were these printed on a full sheet of mint stamps, similar to pre-cancelled postage stamps?

Yes. And as with those, errors can occur:

Quote:
I have two that are recorded in Howard Beaumont's listing of printed cancels, but I have never been able to determine what the initials stand for. Any guesses? (Of course, they may not even be proprietary.)

I have an example of the second, but not the first. I don't have it attributed either.

I have entirely too many printed cancels that have no attibution. This link shows all of the printed cancels I've imaged, and as you can see there are too many unknowns.

https://revenue-collector.com/cgi-b...ncelMethod=P
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 08/03/2019   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This link shows all of the printed cancels I've imaged, and as you can see there are too many unknowns.

Dan, that is such an impressive list. And not all that many unknowns! (I notice that you have a Brady (Matthew) listed as printed. Is that a typo? I thought they were handstamped.)
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 08/03/2019   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sideshowbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

I emailed you with an ID on a couple of the cancels on your website last night. Feel free to let me know if you didn't receive it or if it wasn't clear... it was late and I was tired. Also, thanks for pointing out the double transfer on the R22c. I hadn't even noticed it. Likely, I didn't notice because I am not great at identifying double transfers!

I believe both stamps Rusty posted aren't proprietary cancels. Regardless, they are nice cancels!

I have a couple of playing card printed cancels on R2c:

I have some others on stamps that shouldn't have been used and will try to post a few later. Lastly, Brown & Durling seemed to have no quality control at all.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
540 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
many of these firms may not have had enough of the same type to set up to cancel a sheet at a time. they would use what they had and break the sheets as required. it is also possible that they used jobbing printers or even went to the local newspaper offices. most seem to have done this on a once a month basis, based on the dates I have seen. the Boston book listed a few uses of the express title. all of the Brady cancels I have seen appear to be handstamped.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
540 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
with your description of the Brady impression I think it likely was a single seal hand press.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sideshowbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few more...

Unidentified at this point.

D. B. Welch, Artist (Photographer)

Nathan Fenn's Matches

Joseph Burnett & Co. (Medicine)

American Card Company (Playing Cards)

Lawrence & Cohen Playing Cards

Andrew Dougherty Playing Cards
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how many of those that are proprietary cancels which are on non proprietary stamps were used on receipts or invoices rather then the products themselves.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sideshowbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have some hand stamps that I didn't include because I am convinced that they were likely used on a receipt or an invoice. In general, I don't ever recall seeing a proprietary printed cancel on a receipt or invoice though. Typically, they seem to be handstamped or manuscript canceled.

One more...

No attribution for this cancel yet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The few I have seen have been handstamped, but I have not seen all that many.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,294Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05