Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Ugly #69 Is Headed For The Junk Drawer

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
793 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   9:47 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Truly an ugly stamp. But before dropping it in the "junk" drawer, I thought I'd submit it for your entertainment.

I guess my theory is someone tried to reperf the stamp and missed.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28113 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see "ugly".
I see a postage stamp that has carried out it's duty.
Possibly stamp husbandry over the years has resulted in the condition.
It's all a matter of perspective.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6264 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt that it has lived a very hard life.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
795 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I see something like that I think, oh a misperf, but of course someone tried to fix it up with a pair of pinking shears for cloth material, creating those unique v perfs!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
793 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   10:06 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, well instead of the junk drawer, I'll call it the drawer of unloved stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5757 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love it, it has character.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
795 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just imagine, if the first and subsequent owner had thrown it out all those years ago. We would not be having this lovely little discussion today, bringing like minded people together. Enjoy it for what it is. For the love of stamps!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2163 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   1:38 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While this stamp is definitely tough to love, I have lots of treasured stamps that many would not give a second look.
Learn More...
7571 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rlsny,
Why not throw it up for sale here on SCF? While it might not hold a place in your collection, it might make a home with someone else if priced right for them.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
793 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   1:56 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A member emailed me about it. It has found a home. No longer on the island of unloved stamps.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad it found a home. I'm among those who saw the beauty in it. I don't like to treat stamps as commodities. They're more than that -- otherwise we would not be so interested in collecting and studying them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
793 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   8:16 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, me too. I don't know what I expected when I posted it, but I'm glad people liked it! The collector who contacted me has a theory about these extra perf'ed stamps, so hopefully it will develop from there. ( I still say it's kind of ugly though. )
Edited by rlsny - 08/08/2019 8:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of nice stamps, I'm thinking about an offer for the lovely 261, 253, 258, 260 on piece you have on eBay. Nice item!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
793 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   11:15 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like it too, long story - but hoping someone will appreciate it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1738 Posts
Posted 08/09/2019   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone gauged the row of "freak" perfs. Such things do happen on legitimate stamps from time to time. They can also come from exposure to check cancelling machines back then, among other perf sources. What can you tell us about them?
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1347 Posts
Posted 08/09/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the additional perforation line looks better than those at the bottom.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05