Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Washington And Franklin 1 Cent Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pabstman20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone tell me if I have anything here that is worth anything. Please and thank you. I'm still trying to figure out how to get a more clear image.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing of any monetary value there.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
2 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pabstman20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
what makes some of them worth so much that look the exact same, on eBay prices differ so much from one extreme to the other and they look the exact same can anyone tell me what makes some stamps worth more??
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have yet to make any attempt at identifying the small number of the Washington and Franklin issues, but you might want to check this site out.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...ankmain.html

Dale
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   6:01 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a handful of rare varieties but many inexperienced and/or deceptive sellers list the common varieties (with billions printed) with the rare varieties (some have <100 known). The differences are subtle (i.e perforation gauge) and requires a bit of learning and understanding to differentiate them from the common stamps.
You can learn about this here
http://stampsmarter.com/learning/ID...arities.html
For some reason, many folks want to believe that they have stumbled across the rare varieties. This is like finding a lottery ticket on the sidewalk and thinking that it is the winning mega-lottery ticket.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
2171 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see I am repeating much of Don's post, but I'll post this anyway...

Your 1 cent green stamps were issued between 1908 and 1938. They were printed in the billions, yes billions with a B. These stamps paid the postcard rate and the printed matter (junk mail) rate for many years, thus were issued in huge numbers. There are several obvious design differences in what you show. Beyond that, more subtle varieties differ by the paper (watermark), the rate of perforation, the inks (shades), the press type (flat, rotary, offset), the format (sheet, booklet, coil), etc. There is no way to tell anything from your initial image.

As you have found, there are a few scarce look-a-likes, but they are exactly that - scarce. AND any seller can ask any price they want regardless of commonness. Thus I agree with Philazilla's comment above that (statistically) there is nothing of value there - like $1 total.
Valued Member
France
31 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pklee355 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should measure the perfs and measure the image itself that should give you a little insight
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05