Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Find Signed Cover Gustave A Von Gross

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 590Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 08/10/2019   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add thepackrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was going through a bin from a collection I bought almost a year ago and found this cover. It is cover commemorating Fifty Years Of Health Education. It is a First Day Of Sale cover and postmarked and it is signed by the Cachet Designer; Gustave A. Von Gross. It is addressed to his wife Louise B. Von Gross. Pretty cool find I think. And yes, if anyone knows if it has any value please let me know......I have 2 college educations to pay for!
Thanks,
Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1067 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first day of issue for this 2 cent red John Adams stamp was June 3, 1938. Your cover was cancelled much later, on November 24, 1938 which was Thanksgiving day that year so it is not a first day cover. Thanksgiving day is the date traditionally used by the American Lung Association to sell their Christmas Seals to raise money for lung disease research. Christmas Seals are not postage stamps and cannot be used to pay for letters to be sent - they are privately pinted labels. They first were printed and sold in 1907 and they are made in different designs every year. For the first several decades all of the money the American Lung Association raised by selling these was put toward finding a cure for tuberculosis. Today the money they take in from the sales of these goes to broader lung disease research such as lung cancer. As for value, a used 2 cent red John Adams stamp sells for about 10 cents on a really good day. A used 1938 Christmas Seal might sell for about the same amount. On a first day of use of the 1938 Christmas Seal cover with the same cachet as on yours there have been two very recent actual sales (not prices asked) on eBay with one selling for $3.00 and one for $4.50. Neither was signed by the cachet designer but I would not expect that to add more than a dollar or two at best so your cover would likely sell for something like $5 on an eBay auction. If you wanted to sell it to a dealer they would not likely pay anything since it would cost them more than that in their overhead costs to put it in their inventory and find a buyer.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fun hobby. Educational too. $$ not so much.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thepackrat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I knew it was not worth much but sure wish it would have paid for some college....haha

And yes it is a fun and educational hobby.

thanks for the replies guys.
Robert
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 590Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.96 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05