Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vincent Graves Greene Philatelic Research Foundation Rates

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 5,002Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
47 Posts
Posted 03/18/2020   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Greene in general charges way less than other organizations and usually their fee for most appraisals is around 40 bucks plus shipping of 8 bucks. Not expensive.

The Greene is the defacto global authority on the expertisation of Canadian and BNA stamps. Period. Full Stop.

I highly recommend their certs when OG and NH is involved and also with high value stamps. They are also great a detecting the usual suspects - lightened cancels and re-gumming, reperforations, hidden closed tears, and minute thins. The other certificates are not as respected.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6409 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well after all this time I finally got around to submitting the cover :)
I received an email from the VGG foundation that they have received the item and their turn-around time is about 12 weeks.

So, I'll report back when I get their opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1897 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"There have been instances where submissions coming from outside Canada were charged GST(Goods and Services Tax) by courier firms or the Post Office. The Canada Border Services Agency has confirmed that this is incorrect. They have indicated to us that submissions should be described as: "Items sent for expertization only, and to be exported back to USA"

Imported goods are only charged if they stay here,
If there only here to be worked on and go back there's no charge.
The drawbacks and remittances department handles this.
That's how it was..
Edited by Just_fella - 02/02/2022 09:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1897 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would they look at more then Canadian and BNA?
Edited by Just_fella - 04/07/2022 7:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9035 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would they look at more then Canadian and BNA?

I went to Greene's homepage and amazingly found the following information:

Quote:
The Greene Foundation has provided the pre-eminent expertization service for British North America philatelic material since 1976. The Foundation expertises stamps and postal history issued only by Canada and the Provinces.

Imagine that.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1897 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After emailing with them, they are very helpful, Supportive and understanding

"We have a large collection of Canada and BNA material and we have some on
other parts of the world, more extensive in some countries than others. We
also have a good section on general topics about stamp collecting. I will
help as much as I can, I am very familiar with the collection, and there are
people who can answer questions although they are not usually in on the days
of the appointments. I am sure you will find it valuable to come."

I'm looking forward to visiting!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9035 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
119 Posts
Posted 04/28/2022   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
JustFella wrote:

"There have been instances where submissions coming from outside Canada were charged GST(Goods and Services Tax) by courier firms or the Post Office. The Canada Border Services Agency has confirmed that this is incorrect. They have indicated to us that submissions should be described as: "Items sent for expertization only, and to be exported back to USA"

My suggestion is to right on the Bill of Lading "TEMPORARY IMPORT" -Items sent for expertization only, and to be exported back to USA". Temporary Import is the common description of this process and anyone involved in the customs clearance process will understand this.

Edited by Brad905 - 04/28/2022 4:01 pm
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
Posted 06/02/2022   5:38 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Greene Foundation website has a sample of the wording that should be used for Customs purposes for items being shipped to Canada. We have consulted Canada Customs and they are happy with our wording. Incoming submissions with our recommended wordings have a 100% "no problem" clearance record.

I have always said "if all else fails....read the instructions."

GJP
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1897 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curious,
What are the fees to use the VSC?
I'm trying to make the most of my trip there and would like to pre-plan.

Edited by Just_fella - 07/05/2022 08:43 am
Valued Member
Canada
76 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bk80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send them an email directly. You will see how easy it is. They are polite and will explain what you need to know.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1897 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fair enough, emailed them before and they where great!
I've been meaning to call and set up my appointment for the library, guess, I thought asking here would help cover another aspect of my visit.

Edited by Just_fella - 07/05/2022 8:39 pm
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   11:10 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Greene Foundation is happy to receive visitors. The only reason we ask that an appointment be made is to avoid a conflict with the Expert Committee and other users of the library and to ensure that someone will be available to assist.
There is no charge for using the VSC6000 but access is limited and MUST be pre arranged.
If a visit is for a specific research project let us know when the appointment is booked. This way our librarian can have material ready in advance.

GJP
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 5,002Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05