Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions About This 220?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gallejois to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've done image searches for 220s and I haven't found any that show this color. I have found a description of "carmine rose", but that was still a few shades darker than this. To me, this is rose, just a few shades short of pink. It looks pink in my book. How does a new shade become a recognized variety?
Send note to Staff
Edited by Gallejois - 08/13/2019 09:50 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6392 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know the answer to your question, but something looks very wrong with your stamp. Look closely at the perforations on the left side.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 08/13/2019 10:14 am
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gallejois to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you're saying. Now this one could be reperf'd, but why reperf a stamp right up to the image? This hobby is so bizarre.

It looks like it may have been straight on the left side, and someone decided a perf'd edge would be...whatever.

Still would like opinions about the color.
Edited by Gallejois - 08/13/2019 10:27 am
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   10:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Claiming a new color variety a century after the stamp was produced would be exceeding difficult. I do not know how you could prove the color seen today is not the product of 100+ years of paper and ink chemistry changes. The stamp paper shown above appears to be somewhat toned, indicating that at least some chemical changes have occurred. Also keep in mind that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Detailed stamp color analysis requires a large number of reference stamps, definition and control of the ambient lightning conditions, and developing a very good 'color eye' after significant study.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rose is a Scott listed color for 220. Same cv.
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   10:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the reperf; right side perfs compared to the left side.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2014 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New color varieties are getting named all of the time, not by just anybody, but certainly all of the time.
Learn More...
6963 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   11:45 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I saw one the other day... "fluorescence office lighting pink", it is a mystery why no one ever identified this exciting new color back in 1875.

I do not understand how stamp colors are identified across decades when virtually no one ever defined the ambient lighting conditions. Colors are perceived by our eyes based upon ambient light waves bouncing off the surface of an object. Surely no one believes that viewing a stamp color under a gas lamp in 1860 would be the same as viewing a stamp under an LED bulb today.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, sometimes a perforation is just a perforation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2245 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks like it may have been straight on the left side, and someone decided a perf'd edge would be..
..practice?

Quote:
Yes, I saw one the other day... "fluorescence office lighting pink", it is a mystery why no one ever identified this exciting new color back in 1875.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are there any good reference books on old USA definitive stamps? I am still looking for a reference to a carmine 9 cent Jefferson. I know it is not listed in what I have for reference.
Yes, colors change over time, that is a good fact to know. The best and most accurate light that I know of is Sunlight but it changes the colors of the stamps so do not leave them out in it. Candle light and gas light... reminds me that of other things someone would insult me for mentioning. Oh well, Engravers and Printers used that.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
986 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Louise: Micarelli's Identification Guide to U.S. Stamps is one such book. It covers definitives from 1847 thru 1934.
Added: The only 9-cent Jefferson that I'm aware of is from the 1922-25 regular issue and its subsequent perf varieties. I don't recall carmine being mentioned for any of these ... most are rose. The rotary press perf 11x10.5 (Scott 641) might come closest as it is listed in salmon rose & orange red shades. My copy of Micarelli has nothing to say about a carmine shade for this design.

Edited by JLLebbert - 08/14/2019 01:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
776 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gallejois... Found similar 'almost' with a micro touch more Carmine. Perfs compare quite normal imo. Other members may have closer match ?.

Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, JLLebert

641 s may be where it is from. I read somewhere in Stampcommunity that at the beginning of a print run colors ( or colours) as the Brits say, can be more saturated. Might that be true of a Scott 641 Rotary?
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed. There may well be many new and wonderful colors to be discovered under fluorescent lighting previously unknown to philately. Most, however, would be lost to me as I am nearly blind when it comes to subtle shading.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05