Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help On Plating USA 10/11

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

199 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hobsun013 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

All,

I bought this item more than 10 years ago in an auction as #10. Going back through my classics for a second look and this one does not compare well with my other 10's (Orange Brown color). Given the guide dot in upper right corner this should make it somewhat easier to plate. I looked through all the top of plate positions and given the positioning of the guide dot, I settled in on 5R1 (e and i) and 9R1 (e and i) as possibilities. If this is one of these positions then yes this would be a #10. This was all based on the dot placement and no inner lines. I looked at plates 4,6,7,8 and none of these had the dot placement line up with mine.

Any input or feedback of where I may have went wrong is appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Hobsun

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not experienced with plating, but the color and impression looks like a 10. There are a wide range of colors on the 10/10A orange browns.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
72 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ttreen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, top row of 1e or 1i for sure. But look at the top left corner of position 11r from those plates. I think there is a positive match for the bit of that position that shows at the bottom of your stamp. The guide dot and frame lines of position 1r look like a match for your stamp too. I'd guess it is early state, but that's a guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1626 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am told by a reliable source, that 1R1E is correct.
Valued Member
199 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My thanks to you both for the feedback provided. The color variation to my other copies no longer concerns me given the limited plate options.

Ttreen - My reasoning for eliminating Pos 1 initially was the belief that this stamp had no inner lines (I admit there was some hesitation on that decision). The right side does appear to have a weak inner line in the lower half of the stamp which I had considered but dismissed (obviously should not have). Given your feedback and after taking another look, the stamp compares favorably to POS 1 1Re. I also agree that the bottom of my stamp gives a hint of what the top of Position 11 below would look like. (the slight break visible in the corner between the top and and left frame line). POS 11i does not appear to have that same gap in the corner. So 1R1e is the call.

Thanks again to all.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05