Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Examples Of Magnification Of A Usb Digital Microscope

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob041256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

The images were created from a 5MP 10x to 300x Digital USB camera/video microscope. Here are some enlarged images of varieties, there is nothing in particular as to the uploaded images, though some of the enlargements are very scarce to very rare stamps, but to show what a digital microscope can do.

I just received the microscope and have been testing the tool, I must say I'm impressed, in a few days I will be receiving a high precision quality loupe.

Extensive recut between the sails and eye

Extensive recut between the sails and eye with state 2 plate fractures

Thinned under "AU" of "AUSTRALIA"

Extra Island

Man with Tail

Pantaloon

Koala in Tree

Flaw at base of tree (unlisted)

No Shading Lines

Rob
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3614 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   6:57 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful!

Now to put the images up on a big screen is the go.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KGV Collector

I was quite impressed of the faultless images, there is absolutely no distortion and the enlargements are crisp.

Not a bad idea putting the enlargements on a big screen.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rob how have you set up the lighting and mount to record the images?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3172 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting the Pantaloon version. I've had a difficult time figuring out exactly what that was. Your closeup makes it much more clear. Now to double-check all of my copies (again).
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Marking this. We need a tool to mark info - only way I know is this. I mean this post is impressive.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi shermae

The lighting can be set to any brightness and if not needed switched off by a dial at the top of the microscope. And to magnify the stamp I just place it on the plate (platform) of the microscope and when I have the correct clarity (by rotating a wheel), I then click the capture button and it saves an image to my computer (works on both PC and Apple)

Tomorrow I will photograph the microscope and upload it.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime

Glad that the image helped you, the microscope is going to help a great deal uploading great images of varieties, errors etc. My fiancee, a micro-biologist (as well as an artist and lawyer) said it will be great for her studies; to prevent her kidnapping the microscope I offered to buy one for her, close call and a big dent in my bank account.

I'm thinking about creating a topic that will show all the varieties I have in mega size, so it can be used as a reference section to help identify such stamps.

Rob
Edited by Rob041256 - 08/15/2019 06:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louise411

I am thinking about creating a topic that will highlight varieties etc., and to help collectors identify varieties easily.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the brand of the microscope? There are many brands out there for sale.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/15/2019 07:07 am
Learn More...
6969 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   07:15 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rob,
You could add your new varieties you ID to your Stamp Smarter database using a custom catalog number (i.e. append V1, V2, etc to the ACSC number).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3614 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   5:28 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your gifted approach to stamp varieties needs to go to the people that need it the most!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don

Didn't think of putting the varieties on Stamp Smarter with a custom catalogue number, I'll do just that.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KGV Collector

I agree, will be preparing the varieties for that very purpose. I'll test the microscope to see if it will work on paper types, especially the vertical and horizontal mesh type, such as the 1929 airmail stamps, I'm quite confidant it will.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi angore

The brand is a DIGITECH QC3199 Computer Microscope.

There are other models but I found them to be very overpriced.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3172 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rob. Nice pics. I couldn't find the koala, pantaloon, or tree fault, but here is a similar closeup of the tail flaw. This was taken with my Celestron USB microscope (5 MB maximum picture size). I think it is not quite as sharp as yours, but definitely another tool in the toolbox. Keep them coming.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05