Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Davo Albums...worth The Cost?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
81 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Andyrich74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Still looking for an album(s) for an Israel collection. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions with Davo albums?

They certainly don't go cheap, but if they really do present stamps well, will dive in.

Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4225 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   5:59 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In terms of quality, I'd rank them below Lighthouse, Lindner and Schaubek in the list of albums from mainland Europe. I find the bright white pages rather off-putting, as well as the separation of air-mail stamps from other standard issues.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
403 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are pretty good quality and offer pages for basically every country. They are based off of Steiner pages, so most countries follow Scott numbering order. All major numbers are included and, occasionally, some minor numbers with different perf measurements or watermarks. Trucial States pages are available based off of Michel numbers (since Scott doesn't list most of those issues). They include spaces for souvenir or miniature sheets.

I think the B&W pages are better than the full color pages, in my opinion; I'm sure other folks prefer color pages.

Since they are essentially in Scott order, semi-postals and airmails are considered "back of the book" issues. This is a little frustrating since many countries issue sets combining regular issues with semis or airs, so they may be separated by hundreds of pages in the album. For Israel that shouldn't be much of a problem (I don't think Israel has issued many combined sets.)

EDIT to add: Never mind, GeoffHa's right. I thought you were asking about Palo albums. The above describes Palo, not Davo, albums.
Edited by codehappy - 08/14/2019 8:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4225 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   7:21 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're confusing Davo with Palo.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
620 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Davo are the least expensive of the hingeless albums.

You also get the binder and slip case as part of the album. They are very sturdy and stand upright instead of leaning after a time.

All the others are far more expensive and Lighthouse and Lindner have stopped producing many countries.

Schaubek uses split back mounts which many people do not like and contrary what others say, they can ruin the gum on a stamp if you are not careful. Split back mounts are however better for souvenir sheets.

It is entirely up to you and how much you want to spend.
Valued Member
Learn More...
81 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6392 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andy, if you go directly to the DAVO website you may save a few dollars. www.davo.nl . Their website is available in English

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
81 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Petert4522. Need to check on the euro --> dollar conversion rate with shipping.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1589 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have both Palo for my KGVI collection and Davo for my GB collection. I like the Palo better. By the way, my Palo's are black and white. The color ones can be confusing. Actually, if you have the color ones. why buy the stamps?

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andy, you may want to check out the website for Palo albums as they distribute Davo albums in the US.

https://paloalbums.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
81 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best price I found was on Amazon (go figure.) 30 bucks less for 1948-64. Arrives Friday. We'll see!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1786 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   12:37 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with much that has been said here. My main issue is the lack of alternative binders. I like systems that allow pages to lie flat.

I've been remounting major parts of my collections in Schaubek albums. I buy the regular pages and affix clear Davo mounts, am very pleased with the result.
Edited by Stamps1962 - 08/18/2019 12:38 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
81 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, pretty happy with the Luxe Albums. Have parts 1 and 3 mostly filled, with part II on the way. (For whatever reason Amazon did not have that album.)

Expensive, but like them; and highly recommend them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
948 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NO !!!
Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No what?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6710 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   01:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've used all the hingeless album brands mentioned in this thread except for Palo. My personal preference is Lighthouse. But if they are cheap, I'll settle for any brand. I don't like spending too much on supplies.

Davo tends to be a little cheaper than the equivalent Lighthouse/Lindner. But I have run into one annoying problem with the Davo -- every once in a while I'll find they skipped a major stamp issue for some unknown reason. Not talking about minor variety, but one that has a major catalog number listing in the worldwide catalogs (GB/Michel/Scott). Spaces for everything, except for that one stamp. Go figure!!! I don't have that many Davo hingeless albums (I believe <10), but I've run into this problem I think twice. I do note that one of them was a definitive stamp. It was within the year range given on that page, but there was no space for it on that page or any other page. Hopefully this omission was corrected in later printings.

Glad you are enjoying your new Davo. But if you do encounter any missing stamp spaces, please post and let us know.
Edited by khj - 08/19/2019 01:45 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05